My plan worked out

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was filling up a feeder tube about 5:00p yesterday and heard a squeal from the creek nearby. Rather than investigate I decided to drive off and see if they would come in to the fresh corn. I parked about 250yds away and then walked to a ridge that overlooked the feeder. I had to use the trees and bushes for cover but the wind was right and I spotted the hogs about fifty yards from the tube. I crawled in behind some bushes and from there could only see about a 10 yard circle around the tube. I knew the hogs were still there just couldn't see them from my vantage point. A couple of turkeys came in and hung around for 20 minutes or so but still no hogs. Finally after a full 45 minutes about twenty hogs decided it was safe to come in to the tube. I picked out the biggest one and fired. The group ran off to my right and out of sight because of the bushes. From where I was I couldn't see that this boar had veered off away from the group. It was a great surprise to see his carcass about thirty yards from the tube in some tall grass. Taped out at only 39 inches, he was skinny but had a very nice set of tusks. Guess he'd had a tough winter. He would easily weigh 250 after fattening up. He also had really big hooves. Is there any correlation in hoof size and hog weight???? I know I've shot some other 200 pounders that had downright dainty feet but this guy was a size 13 at least!

Selfie43.jpg

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know nothing about correlating hoof size to weight, but — Dead Hog = Good Hog !!

Congratulations on taking it out.
Keep After 'Em!

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Hog!

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Kudos on the boar. Two questions. What caliber are you shooting and are you standing in a hole?

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love it when a plan comes together! Good hog

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kudos on the boar. Two questions. What caliber are you shooting and are you standing in a hole?

I shoot 6.8 sst's. Standing??? I'm sitting down cross legged.

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Love the 6.8. I'm just woofin' ya about standing in a hole. I can't get down that low to the ground any more. Well, I can but someone will have to help me up.

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love the 6.8. I'm just woofin' ya about standing in a hole. I can't get down that low to the ground any more. Well, I can but someone will have to help me up.

Ha ha, I know what you mean. The longest time I can set on my phone to automatically snap a photo is 10 seconds. That barely gives me time to run and get in the shot. I can also set it to snap 3 shots just in case, but most times the first two always catch me in an awkward position.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gnarly ol' beast. Good plan, good shot. Go git da rest!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yessir. Good dead Boar you dropped. Congrats!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Solid boar down! Wonder if he could haul with big hooves!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Solid tactics and patience are a fearsome combination.