My new Pulsar XQ38 Trail

jglass

LSB Member
You guys convinced me into upgrading to a Pulsar XQ38 trail. Until recently my heart was set on the ATN thor 384 5x. It took a few weeks of pondering between the ATN and going for the Pulsar upgrade. The ATN thermo scope had great reviews but people always concluded it was a great beginner thermo scope. After the battery was charged I turned on the Pulsar XA38 and looked through the viewer for the first time. I thought WOW this is awesome but all I have to compare is my Firefield night vision scope. The Pulsar really reaches out a great distance and very detailed. Never dreamed I would have a thermo imaging rifle scope like this. I'm glad I spent the extra money.

Below is a picture taken from the XQ38. The scope was set to "white hot". Notice the headlights are seen because they are hot, same with the tires. Notice the rear tires and boat trailer tires appear warmer than the truck front tires. Amazing.

Next are the neighbors small dogs. This gives us an idea what wild hogs will look like through
the scope.

I thought this was an interesting picture. The brake rotors appear white because the are warmer than the rest of the car. Notice the pavement appears hot because of heat coming from the engine and exhaust.

Had the scope for one full week. So far the date & time set, reticle set and the wi-fi working with my cellphone. Have yet to get the scope mounted and sighted it but have a general idea how to do that. I had difficulty figuring out how to select between "white hot" and "black hot". Found a way to change it using the cellphone but learned just tonight how to get the scope to change it. The forward arrow button flips between white hot and black hot. Never did find that in the owners manual.

In a week or so I'm going coyote hunting with the thermo scope for a test run.

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the scope. Love mine for the money!
Press and hold for:
1. Wifi on/off
2. Full menu
3. PiP mode (picture in picture)
4. Pic/video modes .. and to end and save current video
5. Scope on/off

Quick press/release for:
1. What hot/black hot
2. Quick menu
3. Zoom
4. Start recording/pause recording/resume recording same video, or take pic
5. NUC/calibrate

If u quick press #4 to start recording and want to stop recording and save that as a video u have to press and hold #4 for it to save that as its own file. If u only quick press #4 it will pause the video and when u press it again, it will continue recording as the same continuous video. If u turn off the scope without pressing and holding #4 to save it, it might delete the current/most recent video. Long pressing the #4 saves the video. Do this before turning off the scope when videoing.
IMG_6583.JPG

Randy

Iowa
Congrats on the scope. Love mine for the money!
Press and hold for:
1. Wifi on/off
2. Full menu
3. PiP mode (picture in picture)
4. Pic/video modes .. and to end and save current video
5. Scope on/off

Quick press/release for:
1. What hot/black hot
2. Quick menu
3. Zoom
4. Start recording/pause recording/resume recording same video, or take pic
5. NUC/calibrate

If u quick press #4 to start recording and want to stop recording and save that as a video u have to press and hold #4 for it to save that as its own file. If u only quick press #4 it will pause the video and when u press it again, it will continue recording as the same continuous video. If u turn off the scope without pressing and holding #4 to save it, it might delete the current/most recent video. Long pressing the #4 saves the video. Do this before turning off the scope when videoing.
View attachment 5417

Thank you for this great info. I have my first rental unit arriving in 2 weeks so this information is very appreciated and timely! Best regards, Randy

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's a very user friendly unit! Doesn't take long to get acquainted with her at all.

jglass

LSB Member
Thank you for this great info. I have my first rental unit arriving in 2 weeks so this information is very appreciated and timely! Best regards, Randy

Hey Randy, where in Iowa are you from? We have a cottage on the Mississippi River South of Dubuque. You must be into
coyote hunting. I sure would like to tag along sometime. Never been coyote huntin before. Jim