My New 7.62x39 AR

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got carried away and must have shot 150 rds of 6.8 at the range and 100 or more of the x39...ok my shoulder is a bit sore.
SSSHHHHH.....I have been telling my wife that they DON'T have any recoil!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the 6.8 has little but the x39 has more and 250 rds or more...soooo

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Frank, just read the rest of this thread. In your 6.8 pistol, when is the last time you cleaned it? Look in the end of the barrel and see if there is copper buildup (copper fouling), this can throw accuracy all over the place.

Next is your gas. Check that the gas block had not come loose, a change in gas every shot will change POI dramatically. Also pull out your bolt carrier and check that the gas key is still tight.

Shouldn't have anything to do with the barrel nut because the gas tube holds it in place somewhat, unless it was not properly aligned/torqued in the first place.

Ditch the cheap scope and mount. Don't want to sound like a dick, but why own a nice gun and put a **** scope and mount on it. Something that works on a .22 may not work in a 6.8. Also, the scope can go bad. So if that scope no longer works in the .22 and even if it does, may still not work on the 6.8 or others. Get a good mount. There are ones made for the AR that are cheap, Burris PEPR, AR Stoner, Aero Precision, etc.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The scope was a place holder for the ATN X sight, did not expect it to be on this long.

I broke the BCG, the MD and handguard all down and reinstalled, have not shot again. Gas block is secure, will remove all copper next, had not done that...Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok Dave, I used the copper solvent and even the second brushing I was getting a copper shiny patch. Got it all cleaned out and frog lubed it again. So you really think that could have caused an erratic 4" POI shift?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Use a good copper cleaner. I use Bore Tech CU+2. When the patches come out with very little blue on them, you have most is the copper out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
copper gone now, so could that cause up to a 4" POI shift

dust

S&B is a brass SP

The shorter tip fed fine? I have heard good and bad things about this load, but listed at $9.99 at Natchez it's hard to pass up. I am looking at a hardened arms, and adding an adjustable gas block.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The S&B and Hornady SST both ran great! I think the new improved feed ramps help a lot. It is the Hardened Arms upper I bought also(Gun Broker bid at 1/2 price they are online)and no gas block change is needed. Also with an *** superbolt it fired off the primers in the tula ammo just fine.

dust

I understand it's not needed in it current form, but if I am looking at a can, an adjustable gas block would help. Any idea what the bore is? Interested to know if they went .311 or .31o. I am waiting to see how their Grendels turn out. It was next on my list until I read about the 45ACP upper.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah suppressed I would also get an adj gas block no matter the caliber. No idea on the bore. probably on the website.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The *** superbolt and it also solved the FTF on tula ammo too. I was using a generic bolt first and getting 5 out of 20 FTF.