My New 7.62x39 AR

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no no no, not in the middle of a town where even BB guns are not allowed to be shot. Besides I don't need the attention of a bunch of sheriff cars in my front driveway.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah am not gonna try it...thanks

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol I didn't think so. I have tested bullet performance in wet phone books in the yard but I have a big sand back drop to work with

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A JOKE

Just stick the muzzle in the pool and fire. Nothing bad will happen and will be as quiet as a mouse fart.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great I will try that!

Headed to the range tomorrow to throw some lead, 9 guns, ammo, range stuff all packed up in the truck!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well this X39 is a shooter, 1MOA or less at 100yds. Shot Tula, some FTF, S&B brass, 123grSP, no problems and Hornady 123SST no issues,, all sighted in and ready to hunt. Mags had no issues but I just used 2 10 rders

It was funny, all 123gr ammo so they all hit pretty close to each other, the Hornady and S&B were on top of each other. Hornady makes its X39 in a steel case but S&B is a brass SP, either would make a good hunting round.

I already showed pics of the gun, did not bother w the targets as they were shot up

Probably put 100 rds thru it, no cleaning, had Frog Lube it and shot well from the beginning.

Shot both 6.8's probably 100 rds downrange
Ran 2 22's the Sig522 and a PLR22, too much fun

I was at the range 10-4, mostly alone, I am beat.

Last edited:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always a good thing when they shoot well. Nice piece you have there

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Issues at the Range
I was at the range almost alone from 10A to 4P, I am beat!

Had a new 7.62x39 AR that ran like a dream and was 1MOA @ 100 yds, Ran the Hornady steel 123SST and the S&B 123gr SP almost the same POI, very pleased.

I Always take my 6.8 *** and 8.5" Bison and shoot them when I go. The rifle ran perfect no issues.

The pistol is my go to Hog killer and has always been right on. I started shooting it and it seems to be on, then the POI shifts and as I adjust the scope and seem to get it on again the POI shifts again. I have a cheap scope on it and after 40-50 rds messing w it I take the scope off and put on an identical scope that was on my Sig 522.

Same thing happens I have an 8" square target at 50 yards, dialing it into the bull and it shifts like low and to the L or R 4". OK tighten every thing down and do it again. 3 shots 1 high 1 low but centered, then 1 4" to the right. OK so I adjust again and it is off the paper after a couple of times, I give up...about 100 rds like this.

Question is...Could there be anything else other than the optic/mount causing this? Just want to be sure. This will be my nightvision gun so next time at the range I will just slap a red dot on it and forget till my ATN comes in. But if it could be something else I want to fix it before that time comes. This optic has been on a year and never a problem before.

Nothing touching the gas block ejection between 3-4, I did replace the Phase 5 tube w a KAK same buffer and spring, gun has not been apart and everything seems solid. Shot 120 Hornady SST, Fed Fusion, 85 TSX, S&B FMJ

Thank in advance for your input Frank

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am editing my post. Glad you like the x39. It is a way fun upper to shoot killed a doe at 85 yds with Bear silver last winter. I wish I had a good answer for you on your pistol. Dang!

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No 2 scopes that shot fine? it is the gun, barrel nut, crown gas tube touching Something.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could the gas tube come lose at block?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will break it apart tomorrow and let you know. It is gassed properly and 3:30-4, so doubt it is the gas system

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very strange. So To do with BCG. By the way I hate the new OS8 on my I-Pad sucks.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
looks good frank. I've got a spare *** 7.62x39 superbolt, but you can't have it lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave, you mean person, it is so super you don't need a spare, gimme gimme...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank, until you said that you changed optics and the problem didn't go away I thought I had the answer. First thought was the scope coming loose internally. I had this problem with my first 6.8. It was hard to figure out until the reticle started rotating. Became pretty obvious with that. The owner of the range has a gun shop also and told me he sees it all the time with inexpensive optics. He says with the recoil impulse of the AR platform, it is very hard on scopes and many can't hold up. Especially with the larger calibers like the 6.8 and 7.62x39. I guess it's possible that you had two scopes go bad. I also had my first *** start stringing rounds and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I tried to change the fore-end. I found out that the barrel nut was only hand tight. Don't know how it loosened, but I could sure tell when it did. Hope you get it figured out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had just shot and sighted in the 2nd scope on my Sig 522, so it did not seem to have a problem. On the 6.8 I took the handguard off and everything was tight, nothing touching. I cleaned it and will return to the range w the 2nd scope still on it and take along a red dot to replace it with.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Since you took the hand guard off and the barrel nut was tight I don't know what else could be the issue. If it doesn't consistently group this time I would disassemble the entire rifle piece by piece. Thoroughly clean everything. I'm talking take the barrel off and everything. Then assemble and torque it to spec.

From there check the optics mounts. Ensure forward pressure is applied while tightening the optic mount to the rail. If none of that works the crown is messed up or the scopes are ruined.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I don't have the tools but I have a friend that does...SMITTY??? lol I just can't imagine 2 scopes bad bang bang. Took the MD off and checked the crown too. I got the ammo to shoot the S&B FMJ stuff a box should tell me. I got carried away and must have shot 150 rds of 6.8 at the range and 100 or more of the x39...ok my shoulder is a bit sore.