My Kinda Night.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Made it to the farm Wednesday and got organized. I was excited to try out the new Barrett magazine hoping that it was the cure for my sporadic jams.

Those hopes were dashed pretty quickly. Sitting in the wheeler looking down a ROW, a huge coon waddles up. I shoo him away and a minute later, here he comes again. I aim, shoot and look and stovepipe. I hope its just the "first round on a new magazine" thing. With that I figure I have spooked any pigs in the vicinity and head to the fields to the north.

It's still light as I'm driving along the road, I always glance down the wheeler trails that lead into the trees. You don't really see anything until you are directly inline with the trail since the grass is so high. Trail coming up and I look left without slowing. Yow! Pig. A pretty good size one just 10 or 15 yards off the road looking at me as I go by. I roll down about 100 yards to Uturn and have my gun out the right side of the wheeler kinda ready to take a shot IF he's still there but not really counting on it. I slow as I approach but my position is so awkward that I decide I'll pass and come back. Sure enough, still there just looking. Up about 50 yards, turn around and gun out the left and roll up. He's staring and I'm like WTF? Crosshairs on his head and bang! He's down. First pig at 8:30, I like.

FullSizeRender-18.jpg

I suspected the much higher amount of activity at the various well pads had spooked the usual pig crowds cause I didn't see any sounders around. I headed farther north about 11:00 when I spied a lone boar in pretty easy stalking distance. I head out in to the field and line him up at about 100 yards. You can see in the video that the first shot staggers him and he takes off. I miss the second then connect on the third. Miss the fourth but the spectacular fifth shot gets a 10 for acrobatics. Good thing cause that last one jammed. I get my trophy pix and head back south to my usual hangout.

FullSizeRender-21.jpg
I roll up quiet and blacked out. Do a scan and Yay for me! Another good size boar about 400 yards south. I stalk up to about 100 yards and drop him. When I check him out, I think he's the biggest of the night. No tape but I'm guessing a pretty easy 48". Went back in the morning and he might have been getting a little puffy but still a damn good pig.

FullSizeRender-20.jpg

FullSizeRender-22.jpg IMG_3140.JPG

Great night other than the jams.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good night! That first one wanted to die apparently. lol

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting and the usually strict Russian judge gives that one somersault a "10."

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If anyone's ever heard "when pigs fly" from their spouse... time to play that vid and cash in on your dream. LOL Nice night indeed!

Andrew Wallace

LSB Member
Congrats on a great night of hunting.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was definitely a hardcore flip! Nice hogs down. Good luck with the jamming stuff ... The best combo that seems to work for me are SpringCo red springs and H3 buffers. I do shoot suppressed.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding flying Hog. The DRT's are perfect too - Congrats!

D

djones

holy somersault batman!! can't believe he took off after that first shot. where did it land? then the second drops and doesn't even twitch. that's hog hunting for ya.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you shooting suppressed? Details about your rig? Just thinking about what might be causing the malfunctions

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you shooting suppressed? Details about your rig? Just thinking about what might be causing the malfunctions

Thanks! It's been going on a while. Not shooting suppressed. All I shoot is 120 SST factory loads. 16" ***, scout profile 3R with PSA upper, PSA BCG. Maybe 500-700 rounds through it total at this point. Has jammed sporadically from the start. Shoots like a laser other than that. The one thing that might have been an issue this last time was that the BCM extractor spring was not seated in the bolt.
• everything spotless and lubed (not excessively) for every hunt.
• tried different lower
• standard carbine buffer spring (in both lowers)
• standard buffer (in both lowers)
• Never had a problem with 223 with either lower.
• tried different carrier
• YHM low profile gas block (set screw) checks out for position.
• Gas Tube good
• happens with standard trigger and G2S
• Switched to a new Barrett 30 round magazine from 2 different ASC mags (but had the extractor spring thing so...).
• Tried the BCM Enhanced extractor spring w/ donut.
• beveled the ejector
• head space seems good as there is no odd wear on the bolt.
• Checked with a local Armorer and he couldn't see anything except maybe worn gas rings so replaced but haven't shot yet. Also went back to standard extractor spring. Probably run over to the range tomorrow and check it out.

Getting ready to start over with new *** NiB BCG and Mega upper/lower.

I am getting faster at clearing the jams though, haha.

FullSizeRender-23.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes the bolt head is a bit oversized, had that happen, won't hold the case in there tight. If you can slide the case around a bit inside the bolt head, might try a new bolt.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes the bolt head is a bit oversized, had that happen, won't hold the case in there tight. If you can slide the case around a bit inside the bolt head, might try a new bolt.

What if it's tight to the point of kinda sticking in the bolt? I checked it and compared it to my 223. The 223 round just falls out of the bolt with no resistance. The 6.8 takes a little tug to get it to release. I have the standard extractor spring installed.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could be an issue. I noticed different bolts seem to be machined with different tolerances.
One other thing I did when i had issues was to order a 6.8 hone and run it in the chamber, mine had melonite in there so I cleaned it up shiny but careful not to do too much. Eric at Blackstone is very knowledgeable with this stuff if you have issues.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could be an issue. I noticed different bolts seem to be machined with different tolerances.
One other thing I did when i had issues was to order a 6.8 hone and run it in the chamber, mine had melonite in there so I cleaned it up shiny but careful not to do too much. Eric at Blackstone is very knowledgeable with this stuff if you have issues.

Snake might have helped solve this. I switched out extractors and went out to the range today. No jams on 30 straight rounds. Fingers crossed that it holds up. :)