My Hunting Update for Tonight (Wednesday)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta love it. The owner of TBR texted with a message full of profanity. Sometimes before I come out, he sends me a note, letting me know what they have been seeing and maybe suggesting where I should hunt. These are brief notes without profanity. This was very different. After a couple of exchanges, he just called me...

He was drinking coffee and his wife who was out in the yard knocked on the window and made a pig face and then pointed at the pasture. He grabbed the binos and saw some hogs, one large one. "Okay," he thought, "Brian will be here tonight." Then he saw the big hog dip its head and fling a large wet clod and grass into the air. Well that won't do at all. In the few minutes it too him to get on clothes, get the rifle out of the safe, etc., the hog had rooted up nearly 300 sq ft of hay pasture. Other hogs had rooted numerous smaller areas. Everything is soft and wet with 2" of rain between yesterday and this morning.

The first shot (155 gr. .308 hunting round of some sort) hit behind the shoulder and the hog dropped into a hole it had dug for itself and started doing the hobo shuffle dirt dance. Then it "just popped up and took off running." The two chasing shots that followed did not hit the hog and it made it into the creek bottom, down in the chest high horsetail grass. Not much chance for recovery even if found because of all the mud.

It was reportedly one of several hogs that were there. So I will be out tonight, hoping to see some of the rest of them. Haven't seen a hog in a month, so this might be a decent opportunity.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AWESOME

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good luck Brian. I'm jealous though.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck Brian! Hopefully this weather passes through before your hunt. I was gonna take my nephew tonight (his school doesn't start until 9:30 on Thursdays), but were gonna be rained out.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks!!! I am hopeful, but then again, I am always hopeful (or I would not go out, LOL). The weather has passed through here and the rains have stopped. Last night was rained out, however. I was supposed to be at my place last night.

For the past couple of weeks, the hogs have been rooting up the property across the road. The owner there does not wish to have any help with the hogs. Regardless of what was said to him, he is more concerned that one of his cattle will be shot than about the damage from the hogs. Sooner or later, he may come around. Either way, I am guessing his problem is what has invaded TBR and what I will be hoping to see tonight.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They do go to the place of least resistance...Good Luck Brian!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was a dark, and stormy night.... (may there be warm cookies in the morning)... so everyone can live happily ever after.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it was a bust. I think the landowner probably did a good job of taking out the major culprit. I saw lots of deer. I even walked the property multiple times in what were fairly ideal hunting conditions. Saw some large areas of rooting, but no hogs. Errrr.

Later, this guy showed up at my place, but I was home, warm and dry by then.

PIC (32).JPG