My first long range update .338 Lapua

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My boss gave me the go ahead to spend a couple hours hunting sat morning.

As mentioned in my last post, the feeder is 350 yards out from the stand. I took the thermal off the AR to check out where they were bedded down, and watch till the sun came up.

Two were at the feeder when I arrived 30 min before sunrise, and 4 were bedded down 500 give or take yards away. It just started getting light out, and one of the two started walking towards me. Still dark enough I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. It didn't take long to walk and trot the distance and it went right by within 30 yards.

The sun was coming up fast, and the 2nd started to move away from the feeder going in the opposite direction this time. Still very dark out, I could just make him out on the riffle scope, then in a flash he was ass towards me head up and I saw the rack. Two seconds later he turned left and was gone into the brush. I was doing my best to get comfortable before taking the safety off, and wasn't even close to taking a shot before he was gone.

Next I watched two more groups of a total of 7 Doe's cross the hay field into the brush. At 8:45 I wrapped it up to check the spots where the doe's hit the fence line. One was at 450 yards, and the 2nd was 550 yards. Both were well worn paths, sadly I hadn't even looked after I planted the feeder at 350 yards.

I made it for work just after 9 am, and thankfully it was slow enough I was able to get off just before 3 pm. After making a run for more corn, I was back in the hay field to move the feeder out to 450, and grabbed another to set at 550. I also dumped half a bag of corn @ 350 for good measure and headed back to the house to pick up the .338.

With my stand also moved 20 feet. Its now right on the edge of the neighbors property and I now have brush and cover from the road all the way to the door. Considering the distances from it to the feeders, I'm not concerned about movement or sent, and never even put on any camo.

45 or so min before sun down I'm back into position and shaking my head at the fact its in the high 80's in November. Also thinking back to 1987 when I went out with a high school friend during deer season in 18" of snow, when he was hunting up north. Comfortable and setup I dial the scope out to 550 yards expecting one to show up there first.

Shortly after the sun had crested the horizon, pop something jumped the fence into the hay field @ 350. I lay down to peak through the scope. There is maybe 10 min of enough light to take a shot and yep its the 3 pt spike. My heart leaps!

I squirm around a bit to get comfortable, take a breath, take off the safety....... Boooooooom.

The spike shutters, and jerks, runs 10 right then towards me, then left back to the fence. Just at that moment I realize I was still dialed in at 550, I dial back to 350 and rack another round in. Sadly once my cheek was back on the butt, he was gone. Rookie Rookie Rookie move.

Sunday was a bust, didn't see anything but Doe come out in the evening.

Ya know, if I wasn't confident of my ability I would have kept my mouth shut at work Monday. Yep the ones who asked laughed when I said I shot over the Spikes back. Then again not one of them have hunted past 100 yards.

By mid afternoon I was itching to try to get off early, and was able to clock out at 530. With minutes of daylight left I knew I only had enough time to get to the stand. Not enough time to make it home to pick up the .338, Id just have to use my CVA .223 single shot with the 9x scope dialed in at 100 yards. LOL

Once in the stand, I flipped open the peep hole to look and yep a 8 point was @ 450 just behind the feeder on the right.

Unable to get comfortable, I grabbed a pillow out of the car to rest my arms on. Now back in the stand and in position the buck was facing me, I guessed on elevation, pulled the hammer back, and pulled the trigger.

covert_2017106183131.png 20171106_175756.jpg

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Who needs a cannon when you have a single shot pea shooter!!! Good job. How high did you have to hold?

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice buck!! Some nice long distance shooting to boot!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done bud!, where did ya hit him?

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
YES, now we talkin!

@ 450 yards I was very excited to see him drop like a rock. I hoped to find the bullet. But the back side of the skull had an exit wound.