My experience running rechargable cr123a

JeremyV

LSB Member
So I decided to try some rechargable cr123a batteries in my zeus 640 and was actually shocked with the results I got. I was expecting maybe 30 or 40 minutes of run time before needing to change the batteries but actually got an hour and and 43 minutes before it turned off.
I got these on Amazon and they are the 700mAh 16340 EASTSHINE E07 RCR123A
They are $25.97 for 4 batteries.

Just thought I would pass along that info.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great info! Is that leaving the scope on continuously or turning off and on? Does using "stand by" mode effect battery life? I was using the remote thing in "stand by" and did not notice significant a difference in battery life from just leaving it on but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Also for Zeus experts, does the 640 use more battery than a 336? Or is that just a 30hz - 60 hz thing?

JeremyV

LSB Member
Great info! Is that leaving the scope on continuously or turning off and on? Does using "stand by" mode effect battery life? I was using the remote thing in "stand by" and did not notice significant a difference in battery life from just leaving it on but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Also for Zeus experts, does the 640 use more battery than a 336? Or is that just a 30hz - 60 hz thing?

That was leaving the scope on the whole time. I was changing setting several times for the different weather conditions and zooming in and out a bit as well.

I would assume in standby it would get better battery life then if it was turned on the whole time but I don't know for sure.

Someone else more experienced then myself might be able to answer that question.

I do know using standby turns on a raido inside the unit that receives the signal from the remote so it would make sense that if your scope is turned on and In the standby mode it would use more power then if it were just turned on without standby.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, Standby mode affects battery life. It is basically running a radio inside tied to the remote. So it is burning up the battery even though the scope is not "on." If you are not using the remote, then there is no reason to be using standby mode.

Interesting deal on the rechargeables. I often do not run my mounted Zeus scopes except for the rare scan or because I have otherwise spotted a target. So, this may be a way to save some $$.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I thought the consensus was don't run rechargeables except in an external battery pack?

JeremyV

LSB Member
I thought the consensus was don't run rechargeables except in an external battery pack?
I believe you are correct because of the short life. However these seem to work well and the Armasight manual says you can use rechargable ones in the scope.
Right now I'm working on 3d printing a new external battery box that is smaller then the Armasight one and won't have the cable sticking up like they have it. I'm a bit frustrated with the current external battery pack and want to make it more streamlined.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes they normally do not have enough power to last long. I may have to try these out as well. Still think te external battery pack from ultimate night vision is the best bet until these new rechargeable batteries are proven.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Hmmm......Don't risk using rechargeable batteries on your expensive thermals. The voltage at full charge is not constant and COULD fry your expensive thermal. Just like they did with the older surefire flashlights.
Just my humble opinion and experience

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm......Don't risk using rechargeable batteries on your expensive thermals. The voltage at full charge is not constant and COULD fry your expensive thermal. Just like they did with the older surefire flashlights.
Just my humble opinion and experience

Interesting opinion given that many of us are running our thermals on rechargeable battery packs which are endorsed by the manufacturers.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wish you could use 18650 rechargeable batteries in lieu of two 123's. I have a bunch of those for flashlights but never tried then123 rechargables.

If the manufacturer of the device states rechargeable 123's are suitable, I personally would not be worried about them. If the manufacturer specifies not to use them, I would absolutely follow those directions.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Interesting opinion given that many of us are running our thermals on rechargeable battery packs which are endorsed by the manufacturers.
Could you please for our education and knowledge let us know what rechargeable battery packs and for what particular thermals? Didn't know I could run my Insight , and BAE thermals on battery packs would sure save me a lot of money.
I'm sure if the battery packs are endorsed by the manufacturers there must be safeguards for the voltage variance. However, I was not mistaken when I quoted that a large amount of generic rechargeable CR123 batteries (not essentially battery packs some of which come with circuit based safeguards) themselves spike in voltage after a full charge effecting electronic equipment using them.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Pulsar offers a couple of battery packs, the UNV developed battery pack, which uses an Anker battery and is voltage controlled was blessed by IR Defense (to me on the phone with a VP.) I recall seeing others but don't recall specifics.

With Uncle Sam footing the bill for military batteries I doubt there was or is a lot of incentive for suitable rechargeable battery pack development for military units.

JPK