Muddy 160ish# Hog

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thermaled this hog at 400 yards around 4:30am. I watched it for about 10 minutes before waking up my buddy Shawn. I couldn't really tell if it was a hog or deer. It had long legs and an incredibly long snout. He wasn't feeding the way hogs typically feed. I had Shawn make a confirmation before we hiked 300 yards through trees and mud.

We geared up and got within 200 yards and were still not convinced it was a hog. If you've ever watched hogs at night they behave and move in a particular way. Well this hog wasn't behaving and moving like a hog.

Finally, within 125 yards we both confirmed it was just a really odd looking hog. We stalked up another 20 yards and decided to not get into the open because the wind was swirling. We prepared for the shot but the hog constantly faced away. We just had to be patient. Let me tell you Shawn is way more patient then me. We waited for a good 10-12 minutes before he finally gave us a broadside shot.

Shawn aimed for the neck. I aimed for the long. We started countdown "1 & 2 & 3 & - Bang." Shots rang simultaneously giving this 160ish pound boar a mud nap!

IMG_3842_zps2e2f777c.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, I especially like all your B roll. So the first hogs in the video with all the shots, none were hit? Thanks!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the double whack attack... synchronized pig-whacking.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think you had enough gun, that last one was not completely processed!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only thing better than shooting a hog is shooting him twice. Nice!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely there are some more dead ones out there:)? You had them charging right at you and were covered up with a mess of em. Good going guys, thanks for the vid!!! Hope you get some more. BANG BANG!!!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely there are some more dead ones out there:)? You had them charging right at you and were covered up with a mess of em. Good going guys, thanks for the vid!!! Hope you get some more. BANG BANG!!!

I saw same sounder 2 night prior and only counted 3 so I believe we shot 2 for sure but no recovery. Honestly I was too busy laughing during my shooting. Long story..

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That hog that charged you was looking mean!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That hog that charged you was looking mean!

He was a little upset Shawn and I interrupted their dinner plans. Hahahaha. They may look big on video but they were all young. Guesstimate under 70#. The recording unit I use is a fixed 5x zoom. It was still pretty cool feeling the thunder of their feet coming right at us.

The big boy that really chased me 2 nights later was one mean sucker. Funny as all get out too. In all my years hog hunting I'VE NEVER BEEN CHASED! Can't say that anymore hahahahaha... Worth it!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
congrats Ed, at least one for sure that won't be ruining anymore land...