Mounts for Photon XT

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What mounts are ya'll using for AR - Photon XT? Any problems? I used a Burris AR PEPR 30mm and it worked, but I had to utilize every bit of the vertical adjustment to zero @ 60 yards (distance to feeder). Killed two corn thieves last night, but concerned if I wanted to change ammo. Sightmark response was to question the base mount. Thanks! Jack

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have the PEPR mount and don't have an issue.

If 60yds is where the bullet first crosses the line of sight you are probably high at 100.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I went to the Federal Ammunition website and used their ballistics calculator.

Not knowing what cartridge your are shooting, and assuming you are using an AR, I selected Federal's 62gr Fushion 223 MSR load, which my son uses. At 2750fps MV the Fusion MSR load is a little slower than some or most loads with similar weight bullets.

I adjusted the calculator's line of sight to be 2.5" above centerline of the bore to account for the PEPR's centerline's guesstimated height above center of bore an an AR. (IIRC, the PEPR centerline is the typical 1.54" above the reciever rail, or close.)

I plugged in a 60yd zero and the program calculated that at 100yds the bullet would be .6" high, at 150yds .1" high, at 200yds 2" low. Seems about prefect to me.

You can try the ballistics calculator for any Federal load, and if you have enough info, for any load. Just go to their site.

JPK

Last edited:

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went to the Federal Ammunition website and used their ballistics calculator.

Not knowing what cartridge your are shooting, and assuming you are using an AR, I selected Federal's 62gr Fushion 223 MSR load, which my son uses. At 2750fps MV the Fusion MSR load is a little slower than some or most loads with similar weight bullets.

I adjusted the calculator's line of sight to be 2.5" above centerline of the bore to account for the PEPR's centerline's guesstimated height above center of bore an an AR. (IIRC, the PEPR centerline is the typical 1.54" above the reciever rail, or close.)

I plugged in a 60yd zero and the program calculated that at 100yds the bullet would be .6" high, at 150yds .1" high, at 200yds 2" low. Seems about prefect to me.

You can try the ballistics calculator for any Federal load, and if you have enough info, for any load. Just go to their site.

JPK
Using factory Hornady's 6.8 120 grain SST. My concern is if I were to change ammo and needed more elevation adjustment. Shimming I guess. Thanks for the info though. Jack

JPK

LSB Active Member
I don't think it'll make a heck of a lot of difference for a night set up.

I went back to the Federal site and plugged in the numbers for their 115gr 6.8 Fusion load, 2475fps, and, using the same parameters, came up with .4" high at 100, .7" low at 150, 3.6" low at 200.

JPK