Mounting UNV Remote Rechargable Battery Pack For IR Thermals

JPK

LSB Active Member
As I have written in other threads, the battery pack works great and solves the issue of in-the-field battery changes for the MK II and other IR Defense thermals. The MK II and MK III in particular because the battery compartment lies so close to the receiver rail that getting the cap on or off is a pita.

I AM A LEFTY! So the pack is mounted on the left side of the butt stock, righties would mount it on the right side. The UNV cables anticipate a right handed shooter and a right side of butt stock mounting location, and the cable runs would actually be easier I think, not that they are hard or troublesome for a lefty.

The battery pack is currently mounted to a BCM butt stock, and I find that butt stock particularly suitable for mounting the battery pack, but I have successfully mounted it on a B5 and a Magpul stock as well.

I eliminated the zip tie running over the middle top of the comb because it wasn't necessary, but it did not interfere with mounting or shooting the rifle if your stock configuration requires a zip tie over the comb.

TBC

JPK

LSB Active Member
Sorry, computer and photobucket are engaged in mortal combat.

Photos:

As I mentioned, I eliminated the zip tie over the center of the comb, because it wasn't needed, but it didn't interfere with mounting or shooting the rifle.

For most butt stocks it takes only a few minutes of playing with different cable routing and zip tie locations to fit the battery pack in the best position with the least chance of snagging when you're hunting at night. The charging handle clears the zip ties on the extension tube so long as the zip ties are pulled tight. When shooting the rifle, the presence of the battery pack makes no difference, same wrt to carrying the rifle slung, or putting it on a tripod or sticks. As I wrote, the battery pack works great.

JPK

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks man!