More ammo testing, Lost Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am continuing with the Federal Fusion. It seems to be a good round, but I am not convinced it brings down hogs like SST will do. This was Monday's hunt...

I was at the impact location within 3 minutes. Nothing. No blood, no hog. I looked for over an hour after the shot using thermal. Nothing. The rains started later Monday night.

I went back the following day in daylight and walked the creek bottom (which I won't do by myself at night) and researched about a 200 yard radius of where the hog was shot. Nothing. Of course, if there was any blood sign to be seen in daylight, it had washed away. Any tracks had washed away.

I really expected to see some decent blood on the ground right after the shot given the shot's probable location. Nope.

No doubt he is dead, but he isn't dead where I could find him.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are you sure that you searched the actual place on the dam where the hog was hit ?? To me . . . good shot/good hit,good enough bullet,at optimal velocity . . . Should have found blood.
Reason I say this . . . been there,done that. Without good depth preception,the actual distance could be off. You could have looked for blood in the wrong place. ---- pruhdlr

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well, shucks!

Yeah, he's probably dead — so there's that …

The Coyotes and/or the Turkey Buzzards thank you!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you sure that you searched the actual place on the dam where the hog was hit ?? To me . . . good shot/good hit,good enough bullet,at optimal velocity . . . Should have found blood.
Reason I say this . . . been there,done that. Without good depth preception,the actual distance could be off. You could have looked for blood in the wrong place. ---- pruhdlr

I don't think I could have pinpointed the spot much better had the hog been standing under a feeder. The boat is a great landmark. The oddly shaded spot on the ground near where the hog was located is a patch where the ground is slightly depressed and where the grass is all but gone. Using video from the shot, I was able to very nearly pinpoint the location.

Even so, I wanted the precise location to start my search for tracking purposes. I first employed a bi-direction unilateral search pattern from atop of the dam without venturing into the grass where the hog was shot and so as to to not trod upon any blood splatter. After 3 bidirectional scan attempts started parallel to the boat and going 20 yards distant, results were negative. Next, I placed one of my firefly lights on the ground atop the dam's center, parallel to the location where I believed the hog was shot, marking a center location for a bidirectional, semi-circular search pattern. Traditionally, a spiral search pattern would be used, but the top of the dam made for an explicit bisection, rendering the search of the boat side quite unnecessary. The bidirectional approach also provided the opportunity of seeing the grass from two directions, where as the spiral pattern would only produce views from one direction. I used ~2' increasing increments, changing direction each time I reached the dam's top center. I completed approximately 16 arcs before colliding with trees at the base of the downward side of the dam. The hope was that if I didn't locate the exact location where the hog was shot, that I would location the spray from that location or spray as the hog ran. Results were negative.

So even if I didn't know the exact location where the hog was shot, it would have been covered by both search patterns.

I did not proceed with a grid search pattern after this and as might typically be employed at this point. The reason for not using the grid search pattern was because the previous semi-circular pattern would have likely destroyed or hidden any blood evidence that might have been missed. That is the problem with terrestrial searches, versus aerial searches that don't actually come in contact with the ground.

But all that is rather boring and so was not mentioned previously.

I don't doubt there was some blood splatter, but if there was, it was tiny mist particles and not larger droplets. There was no spurting of blood as the hog ran. There was no contact blood visible on the grass stalks. Everybody misses stuff, but I covered that area enough times that if it was present, I should have come across it. Really though, blood at the location of being shot is probably the least informative location. I pretty well know where the hog was shot. What I needed to know was the direction in which the hog ran once the hog was out of sight.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You should have used the force your Brian. Next time let the FORCE guide you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I stopped using the 6.8 fusion,it was less than satisfactory, range ammo now

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
CONCLUSION - - -> The hog said to himself . . . "I'm gonna frig with this guy. I'm gonna act like I was hit and tumble down the hill. When out of sight,I'm gonns run off a ways,back up onto the dam down 75yds or so,lay down and watch this guy walk around and around."
THERE !! ---- SAWMAN

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Watched the vid again.
How far past the boat was the hog that you shot ?? ---- pruhdlr

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The buzzards will be your locater beam for this hog Brian.
He is dead, just not immediately. It happens to everyone.
Regardless, good dead hog - off camera.

Dennis

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have heard of their toughness, but that is death defying on a biblical level!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
B... that spot is jinxed. First, the can launch at the 'yote, now this. That hog just didn't realize he's dead. Solid hit.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had similar results with the fusion on deer a couple years ago. Good hits but no blood trail even with pass throughs. Lots of people love them, but my results were so unfavorable that I won't shoot them anymore. It's a shame though since they were the most accurate factory load in all my rifles.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Whatchu got thar izza Sci-Fi DRT...(Dropped, Rolled, Teleported)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have suggested numerous times that I thought hogs had teleported into a field I was watching. I would scan the field and nothing would be there. Moments later, scan again and a lone boar or whole sounder might be there in the middle of the field, just standing there like they teleported to the spot. Teleportation would explain lost hogs as well.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have suggested numerous times that I thought hogs had teleported into a field I was watching. I would scan the field and nothing would be there. Moments later, scan again and a lone boar or whole sounder might be there in the middle of the field, just standing there like they teleported to the spot. Teleportation would explain lost hogs as well.
You MAY be on to sumpin' B!

SquealSpock-400x400.jpg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definitely good shot! He's probably expired somewhere.