Montague Coyote via Bone Yard Bait

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A little over a week ago, I shot a good-sized boar and a coyote at TBR, my buddy's place just outside of Montague. The yote was eating a rabbit when I shot it and later the hog was sniffing the ground around the last few yards of the drag to the 'bone yard' when I shot it. The bone yard is a deep ravine dump location where we dispose of carcasses on the property. The really nice thing about the whole deal was that the drag to the bone yard for the hog was only about 10 yards. As happens during warm weather, the bone yard ripens pretty well to a nasty smell. The bone yard is that the SE end of a N-S field that is about 400 yards long. The stand is on the west side tree line about 160 yards north of the southern tree line. There is a small food plot in the SE portion of the field and the rest is planted in hay.

Last night, the winds were howling out of the south, but the temps were in the mid 70s and quite pleasant. Soon after getting in the stand, I spied a yote at about 140-150 yards SE of me. I lined up a shot as it slowed down, judged the wind, and apparently sailed a shot right over it. Informed the landowner and he suggested that the bone yard and wind were probably going to do a good job of calling yotes. He was right.

A couple of hours later, this gal came walking through the middle of the field and walked right past me. I got my gun up and the wind died down and she stopped for some reason about 60 yards SSE of me, severely quartered away, when I too the shot. She D'dRT. The 6.5 Grendel 123 gr. SST entered the right side mid body and exited the left side in the front portion of the shoulder. When peeling the skin back, the exit was about the size of a 50 cent piece. There were 2 or 3 large drops of blood on her coat, but otherwise virtually no blood from the entry or exit wounds. She also had a wound to her left hip that was recent, but scabbed.

The fun part came later when four deer showed up to browse. They migrated from the food plot into the hay field and strangely spent over and hour spooked by the dead yote and grazing within 30 yards down wind of it. The spent another couple of hours in the field within 70 or 80 yards of it, south and/or west of it. They weren't as bothered by it as when they were down wind, but they continually kept stopping to turn and look at it.

Later, I watched another yote come out of the bone yard ravine and immediately turn and disappear into the woods and did not get a shot on it.

No hogs ever showed. The winds continued to howl and so I finally called it a night after midnight.

20140412_221731reduced.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt Brian. I was a little disappionted that I didn't see the purple scruncci any more.:rolleyes:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going Brian!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Geez... not even M&Ms for the kiddos after a 'yote kill? LOL Nice lookin' dog there. Nice shot.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cookies are ONLY for hog kills, LOL. I don't actually get into the predator control like I do hogs. I do it because the landowner at TBR requests it.
LOL The 'yote didn't take that bait... tell the kiddos someone was trying to start a new tradition for them. LOL

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If the landowner had a place a little more suited for the buzzards his site would not stink as bad for as long.

Would also make it easier to hunt the coyotes of the hog carcasses. (sp)?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The buzzards, yotes, etc. find the critters in the ravine just fine. Shooting coyotes off the carcass would be nice, but that would not improve the visual beauty of the property. This isn't a 1000 acre ranch where you can stack carcasses in a hidden corner and nobody notice, but a small place of less than 80 acres. As for the length of time of the smell, that will vary from time to time and place to place. I have seen dead hogs remain in the middle of a field for over a month without being eaten by scavengers. The fact that I keep adding to the bone yard doesn't cause the smell to improve any faster, LOL.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How deep is the ravine? can you sit on the edge and target the yotes? A carcass at my lease rarely makes it overnight, mainly due to the hogs and yotes eating it.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just more Texas Crude in the making... ok, early stages.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was quick!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter