MNBob's First Thermal Hog & Coyote Hunt

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bob joined Dave and myself for a little thermal hunting in North Texas. Bob had not used thermal before and so this was his chance to get some idea how scopes perform in field conditions. So Bob and I ended up switching rifles throughout the night between stalks, of which there were several. The problem seemed to be more of bad luck than anything else. We had hogs hundreds of yards away from us, NOT down wind, and that never got a chance to see us in the bright moon that would just wander off into the woods without us ever getting close. That was frustrating. Through it all, Bob was not discouraged.

Of course, this wasn't his first hog rodeo, just his first with thermal. In the end, we managed three hogs and one coyote for the night, not a high tally, but a thorough opportunity to learn.

Randy

Iowa
Bob joined Dave and myself for a little thermal hunting in North Texas. Bob had not used thermal before and so this was his chance to get some idea how scopes perform in field conditions. So Bob and I ended up switching rifles throughout the night between stalks, of which there were several. The problem seemed to be more of bad luck than anything else. We had hogs hundreds of yards away from us, NOT down wind, and that never got a chance to see us in the bright moon that would just wander off into the woods without us ever getting close. That was frustrating. Through it all, Bob was not discouraged.

Of course, this wasn't his first hog rodeo, just his first with thermal. In the end, we managed three hogs and one coyote for the night, not a high tally, but a thorough opportunity to learn.

Congrats to Bob on first thermal kill. Thank you Brian for showing both scope views. I will be curious to see PTS233 and Apex LRF XQ38 side by side view to see if extra dollars are worth it.

Best regards, Randy

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going guys!! Liked seeing the porker that was hopping!! BANG BANG!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good double-teaming there.

MNBob

LSB Member

Cannot thank Brian and Dave enough for explaining and t

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hogs! Always more experience to learn from each hunt!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just another fine video!