Michigan man coming to Texas to kill hogs!!

shaftmaster

Hi i was wondering what National forest in Texas is best for hunting hogs or if i should just avoid them and go knock on some doors and see if i can get access to hunt some hog infested private land ? This will be my first time hog hunting and first time down in Texas so any tips will be greatly appreciated thanks!

P.S. I will be hunting with my AR15 in 7.62x39

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Welcome to LSB. I don't know what part of Texas you're coming to but you are not likely to have much success knocking on doors offering to shoot hogs. Most land in Texas is privately owned and most landowners are not real receptive to letting someone they don't know go running around with a rifle. I would suggest you find a reputable hog hunting operation/guide service and let them provide the permission and location for hunting. You are more likely to achieve a level of success that way. Good luck with your search.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been to the Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest to camp, but not to hunt. I don't know anything about the hunting opportunities. You might try writing to the local office (if you can figure out where that is) and inquire. Maybe you can get someone on the phone. The local rangers probably know as much as anyone about hunting there.

shaftmaster

I've been to the Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest to camp, but not to hunt. I don't know anything about the hunting opportunities. You might try writing to the local office (if you can figure out where that is) and inquire. Maybe you can get someone on the phone. The local rangers probably know as much as anyone about hunting there.

I’ll try giving them a call thanks.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Come on down and enjoy the cold winter we experience every year.

jglass

LSB Member
I have had pretty good luck asking people for a place to shoot or hunt. It is all about how you present your self. Most land owners. have had bad experiences allowing people access to their property. But remember one thing, you are offering to remove animals
(hogs)that they hate. All you need to do is have land owners like you and trust you on their property.

I lease property in Florida where I get along with all the neighbors who also hate the hogs. I pick up all the trash on the road ways in the area and do it on Sunday afternoon where people can see me. The trick is to make people want you there hunting. I had one neighbor tell me they had 13 acres that I was welcome to hunt on. But, I'm retired and have plenty of time to do these things.

It will take some work and effort on your part, but in time you will get what you want.