Messin' With Nanook !!! (Kinda like "messin' with Sasquatch)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Six weeks ago, after landing in Deadhorse, and on the 50 mile bus ride to get to work... I hear on the radio that we have a visitor at the island's west boat ramp. A polar bear !!! Sweet !!! Love watchin' Nanook !!

The hovercraft lands near the west ramp of our little island, because the bear has moved to the east side of the island... moving around the south shore. I walk to camp and gear up, heading to the east ramp to relieve my alternate.

It went something like this. Everyone KNOWS... you can't fool the NOSE of Nanook. He can smell "dinner" 20-40 miles away !!! Wind out of the east, Nanook catches the smell of open water. He follows his nose. He finds our little island, and a concentration of odd smells (diesel exhaust, primarily), but, smells open water too ! He wanders to the south shore of the island... and the smell of diesel fumes drops, the smell of open water increases.

Ice Road construction is in full swing. Equipment is lined up, each one drilling down with an auger, then pumping sea water up to flood the ice. Each drilling spot leaves a "mole hill" of ice chip and water. In the -20F ambient temp weather, life is good for the Ice Road crew. The ice road begins 3.5 miles south of us (shore) and comes north to our island, hangs a left and comes up our east ramp, onto the island.

Nanook rounds the south end of our island and has hit the mother-load jackpot !!!! Look at all those breathing holes !!! He's gonna eat GOOD for a while !!! Onto his belly goes the bear, doing the belly crawl up to the first breathing hole... peers in, NO scent of seals. No worries, there's another breathing hole over there... belly crawls to the next one, NO scent of seals there either. On to the next one, and the next one... NO scent of seals !!!! He finally gets up and plods along from hole to hole, hoping to find the scent of seal. Nuttin' but ice chip mole hills made by ice road crews. I watched him mosey on for a few hours as he headed east.

That was my only bear action in the last six weeks.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's got to be frustrating for him to see all the holes but nothing to eat

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Even in instances like that... there ARE possibilities. I forget now what they're called, but, there's a sea bug up there. Looks a lot like the old "pill bug" we found in the soil as kids. They sort of resemble a lobster tail in appearance. Anyhow... they dwell on the sea floor up there. It's possible for one of two of those to get sucked up during the pumping process and end up on top of the ice. So... a morsel or two for a bear... a fox... a raven...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess with conditions like you get up there every little bit helps

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So did the crew get to eat bear meat the rest of your tour?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So did the crew get to eat bear meat the rest of your tour?

Naw, too much damned paperwork involved with shooting a polar bear. Probably less paperwork if a worker was shot. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I know just wishful thinking for a reason to shoot!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, it is just foreign to me... gun in hand, seeing something like a polar bear... and knowing I can't just shoot it... when my job is to shoot one, IF "need be". The real kicker is... IF I were to shoot one, I couldn't keep a single scrap of it either.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hope you find the time to post some pictures from up there some day.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hope you find the time to post some pictures from up there some day.
There's a few here and there already. Haven't taken any new ones in a while.