Mason Mountain, TX hunt

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was selected for one of Texas' public area drawing hunts for Mason Mountain WMA last week. For those of you who don't know about these, it is a great opportunity to hunt in areas that most of us only dream about. Anyway, it was a management deer hunt and the rules only allowed for taking of 6pt bucks or less and one doe with a total of 2 deer. The hunt starts at noon on the first day and ends at noon the third day. My first day was mostly spent checking out the area I was hunting and trying to decide where to set up a ground blind. There was a fixed box blind in the area, but after looking for a while with no luck, I set up the blind in a likely spot. After sitting for an hour and a half, I realized that I wasn't in the right area to find the other blind and set out looking for it. I was successful in finding the other blind and sat there until dark with only seeing an injured javelina. It was a really good looking area with a lot of oak trees dropping acorns so I intended to be there at daylight.

The next morning was pretty cold, at least by Texas standards. 30 degrees with 20 mph winds in and open blind was pretty uncomfortable after a while. About 0715 I spotted a HUGE bodied buck walking across the stream bed up the hill from me. By the time I got binoculars on him, I couldn't see how many points he had, but the main beam was massive. I warmed up pretty quick after that. Around 0730 another buck was working his way toward me through the stream bed. It took a while to study him carefully to make sure that he met the requirements of the rules. When I decided to take him, he wouldn't stop walking, so I had to make a quick decision and go ahead and pull the trigger. I knew it was a good hit, but I didn't see him go down before he went out of sight. It was hard to wait before going to check on him. I didn't find a blood trail, but I did a pretty good job of marking the exact trail where he went out of sight and it wasn't much farther till I spotted him. He was the perfect management buck. 4 1/2 yrs old and 5 points. Definitely one to take out of the herd.

After getting him taken care of and lunch with my wife, I went to a different area for the afternoon hunt. Sat in another of the areas fixed blinds with this outstanding view.

The afternoon hunt ended with me getting a nice 2 1/2 yr old doe to add to the freezer. I didn't get any pictures of her, since she wasn't much to brag about except the excellent table fare. I was also completely exhausted from field dressing and hauling two deer in one day. I'm getting too damn old for this. I've got to start hunting with some younger partners who like to drag deer.

Here is another of the beautiful landscapes I got to look at while wandering around this gem of Texas.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a nice pair of deer. Fine buck there.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Congrats, that worked out well and sounds like fun. Great views even if toy didn't get any deer, would still be worthwhile.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks, it was a lot of fun in spite of the cold wind.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Excellent work. I don't mind dragging deer when I have my game cart. Actual dragging sucks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job, you really did well..Congrats! Old, I can relate!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going , food for the freezer way to go. Thanks for posting. Nice pictures too. BANG BANG!!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the part about lunch. Very lucky guy.

Oh, and good job on the deer!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is such great country, see sign of lions? sure looks like where they love to hunt and live.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is such great country, see sign of lions? sure looks like where they love to hunt and live.
I didn't see any signs, but it sure looked like a place where they would hang out. Every time I was talking to the rangers, they wanted to talk about what I did, and I never got to ask them if they saw any lions in the area.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think it was a great hunt and adventure, really congrats to you for getting out there and getting it done.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think it was a great hunt and adventure, really congrats to you for getting out there and getting it done.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
nice story! Glad you got to one of the WMAs and were able to take two deer home.

By the way, Texas WMAs don't have rangers, only the parks do. WMAs are staffed with biologists and full time technicians.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, I knew that, it was just easier to say rangers than Dr. so-and-so and technician so-and-so. Actually the senior technician and I talked quite a bit. The poor sap is required to live full time in that god forsaken hell hole. He wanted to talk flying the whole time I was trying to talk biology. (I originally wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Even have the degree)

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For those interested, I forgot to mention the killing tools used. The rifle is one that I put together this year myself from a pile of parts that were on sale. Ammo was SSA 6.8spc in 110gr barnes TSX. They did their job very nicely, but no bullets were recovered. On the doe, it shattered both legs at the shoulder and two ribs as it passed completely through from about 100 yds. Very nice round.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper, that is my favorite rd just bought more in the BOGO Vet Day sale.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I only have about 80 rounds left, but I picked up 300 bullets during their last sale and plan on loading my own.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I am not a reloader but buying it 2 for one and then selling the brass, it make for a very inexpensive rd for me.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice! pretty country. looks like you had a successful hunt and a good time

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I
Yeah, I knew that, it was just easier to say rangers than Dr. so-and-so and technician so-and-so. Actually the senior technician and I talked quite a bit. The poor sap is required to live full time in that god forsaken hell hole. He wanted to talk flying the whole time I was trying to talk biology. (I originally wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Even have the degree)
I remember us talking a little about that at the meet and greet. Yea sometimes the hunters are the only ones those guys get to talk to all week besides the rest of the WMA staff and they will talk your ear of and then some.