Marlin 45\70

Pork Popper

LSB Member
Thinking about trying it on some porkers. Should make them DRT. A little expensive to shoot, but fun.

Anyone else use one for this purpose?

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thinking about trying it on some porkers. Should make them DRT. A little expensive to shoot, but fun.

Anyone else use one for this purpose?

My friend Patrick used one a few years back to drop this big boy in his tracks from 40 yards. No exit wound.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 13

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought one for just that, a couple years ago and shot a pile of hogs but never, seriously, never had one die right there. They always ran off and died somewhere in the brush. I shot Hornady 325 gr Leverevolution red tip deals mostly. Very fun to shoot and carry but for me, the results were not up to my expectations. Shot 2 small deer also and had to track both of them. I'd own another but I would shoot Buffalo Bullets or similar.

Pork Popper

LSB Member
I bought one for just that, a couple years ago and shot a pile of hogs but never, seriously, never had one die right there. They always ran off and died somewhere in the brush. I shot Hornady 325 gr Leverevolution red tip deals mostly. Very fun to shoot and carry but for me, the results were not up to my expectations. Shot 2 small deer also and had to track both of them. I'd own another but I would shoot Buffalo Bullets or similar.

Hornady is what I have as well. Am thinking as you are about using some blunt types, at least on hogs.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's what I started with, handloaded 405gr remington soft points. I found the sweet spot was about 1800fps.

D

djones

rem 405gr round nose factory load. use an ir laser with pvs14 on a skull cap. also used 350gr hp. anything 45 cal in a rifle kills them like lightning hit them

4570_zps7qyvoofo.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Suss, did you pour ketchup all over that thing?

D

djones

i parked on top of him for a few minutes to squeeze out a little extra for the pic

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've never used mine on hogs. I have used my 458 Socom on hogs with 300 grain Remingtons, 325 Hornady and 300 grain Barnes. All of my loads are at 1800fps. I found out it is not the Hammer of Thor I expected. If you don't break the front shoulders or CNS they run every time. The two deer I shot with it also ran about forty yards. It's fun to play with, but the 6.8 works better for me with less recoil and cheaper to shoot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool. That's what a PI, I sort of know, uses in his. By hand loading were you able to reduce the recoil for that? Or was it a non issue?

I got up to over 2000fps but found the best performance at the lower speeds. I don't find the 45/70 to have very much recoil, it's more of a push. The muzzle climb and low ammo capacity is why I switched.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can vouch for the 30-30. My dad uses his lever action very deadly and accurately to 100 yards on hog and deer (that's the longest shot in his property).

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
I can vouch for the 30-30. My dad uses his lever action very deadly and accurately to 100 yards on hog and deer (that's the longest shot in his property).
Ya 30-30 on deer works great, but how deadly is it on a hog? I understand shot placement is everything but say I miss the neck and hit the body, will a 30-30 drop him or will he scatter?