Mama and Babies

Chuck S

I have a question about hog hunting ethics. If you were to come across a mama hog with babies, would you shoot and try to kill as many as possible or pass her up until the babies are weaned?

I ran across this last week. We came across a nice 100 pound mama with about 6 little ones. My thought is to shoot the mama, and then shot gun the rest. They will eventually come back to her I think. That is kind of the plan for this weekend. I bought corn and strawberry jello mix today to set out a tube and camera later.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't because there is no meat on the babies, I wait till they get 40-60lbs, never try to kill the sows as they are my breeding stock...then again I eat what I kill here. If you are eradicating you kill the sow then the piglets, I don't think there are ethics in play except a humane quick kill for hogs.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends if your hunting to eradicate them off your property or if your hunting like frank for meat. For me I shoot them all.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I take a note from Metallica, Kill 'Em All.

More corn for the native species.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
FYI I have never seen the babies return to a dead sow. Guess can chime in on this. From what I've heard and seen, if they find any food source other than the sow they will survive.