Making A Forged Knife.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am speechless. You and the other artists involved have God given talents. Thank you for sharing.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amazing process.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's just way cool. Thanks for sharing that build. It's one thing to take your own work to the next step, but a whole nudder stressor to lay your hands on someone else's work.

I really like the subtle pattern in that blade steel. It goes well with the theme and ivory. It has that age old look.

I wondered if there was a lot of lost product in the making process of Damascus.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you look at the bar that was patterned for the ladder. All the bumps that alternate from side to side. My jig is set to leave 14" down the center. All of those bumps have to be ground off! that is 50% of that bar. That is not including all the loss due to oxidation, grinding between re-stacking, sawing the billet etc. So it can be a very wasteful process. But in order to develop the pattern it has to be done. When people see that they begin to understand why it cost so much to have a damascus knife made.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, that was my point in asking about the amount of lost material. It helps us mere mortals understand the "why" (not just because it's so labor intensive).

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding, beautiful knife. Kudos to all artists taking part in the build.