Mags for Six8 A5

txhunter

I am starting to consider getting a six8 A5 rifle. Been using .308 for hogs but may give the 6.8 a try. Are there 20 round pmags available for this gun or other 20 round mags that will work? I don't usually need 30 round and don't like the longer size when I don't need it. Appreciate any input.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There's a "how-to" thread over on 68forums, one of the folks there cut down his mags for just your reasons.

txhunter

Wonder if magpul will ever make smaller mags for the six8. Guess no way to know and I probably wouldn't be soon.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 15 round PRI mag, it is just right for my type of hunting. They don't give them away like pmags but they are good quality.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, the SIX8 is a different platform from the 6.8. Shoots the exact same ammo though. The SIX8 was built around the specs of the PMag. Because of the thicker walls needed (due to the girth of the brass) to create a PMag that would work for the 6.8 round. So... to fulfill the contract requirements which spec'd the use of PMags in the ordered guns in 6.8 SPC, LWRCi collaborated with MAGPUL... and the SIX8 lower/upper was born (wider, to accommodate the new PMag).

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did not know that. I assumed SIX8 was their fancy way of talking.....kinda like Cajun'. Except understandable.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have a standard AR 15 do not get the Pmag six8 mags, those only fit a LWRC lower a Six8 not a 6.8 Same bullet different size mag and magwell

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have a standard AR 15 do not get the Pmag six8 mags, those only fit a LWRC lower a Six8 not a 6.8 Same bullet different size mag and magwell
I knew the Pmags only fit the LWRC just didn't realize they were using SIX8 as the verbiage to do so. Always something huh?!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I railed against it from the beginning 2 lowers, 2 sizes of mags for the same caliber just adds to confusion and also causes problems for acceptance for our military.

txhunter

I called LWRC and they indicated that they are going to offer smaller PMAGs for the Six8 fairly soon. It sounded like they are going to be modifying the 30 round mags to make smaller ones. I saw the do-it-yourself conversion of the 30 round mag on the 68forum but the manufactures process for converting them may be better. I just bought the Six8 A5 and plan to pick up some of the 10 and 20 round mags once available.