Magazine for the 6.8

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any recommendations on magazines for the 6.8? I've had a 6.8 from LWRC for a while but with too much going on, its sat in the safe for months. I tried loading several 6.8 rounds into my Magpul 5.56 magazines but couldn't get more than 6 rounds in.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A LWRC 6.8 uses a mag by magpul made for the 6.8 round.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An LWRC "Six8" uses the mag by MAGPUL, made just for the "Six8". A standard 6.8 SPC rifle uses 6.8 specific mags, which have a different follower in them from a 5.56 mag, and the ribs embossed into the side of the mags are DEEPER on a 5.56 mag than they are for a 6.8 mag (due to the larger diameter case for the round).

I've had pretty good luck with my CPD mags for my 6.8s. Many like the PRI. The Barretts have a very good rep for being stout and reliable. They're larger capacity only, and limit reloaders to about 2.260" COAL loading.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An LWRC "Six8" uses the mag by MAGPUL, made just for the "Six8". A standard 6.8 SPC rifle uses 6.8 specific mags, which have a different follower in them from a 5.56 mag, and the ribs embossed into the side of the mags are DEEPER on a 5.56 mag than they are for a 6.8 mag (due to the larger diameter case for the round).

Ya what he said. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Grizz

I have several 6.8 mags, mostly from Stag because I cannot find a Magpul magazine made for the 6.8 SPC. Feeding from the Stag mags can be an issue. I think the problem is caused by the mag essentially being made for 223 bullets, so the front top edge of the mag (the horizontal part of the magazine that the cartridge case must pass over during chambering) is too high for the larger .277 diameter bullets and case mouths. But, I found a cure for that problem. I lower and radius the top front edge of the mag, the part where the cartridge case slides across when being pushed into the chamber. A moto tool with a small stone does a nice job on the mag, and then a smoothing with a fine stone or fine cut oval or round jewelers file finishes the job.

I lower the front top edge of the mag only enough such that when a cartridge is in the mag, the front top edge of the magazine is just slightly lower than the outside edge of the case mouth, and I round the edge of mag so the case mouth will easily slide over the mag if it somehow touches the mag during chambering.

It's a simple and effective mod that only takes a few minutes to do. I hope my description was not too confusing.

After that mod, I have never had a failure to feed, regardless of the type of case or bullet being used.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is no pmag for the 6.8 only the six8 of LWRC rifles. ASC or CPD are my mags and all are reliable for the 6.8.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
UPS dropped off 5 6.8 mags yesterday! Now I have to find time to use them!

Oldironsides

Go to Surplus Ammo.Com they have 6.8 mags ASC manufactured for $11.00 a pop. I use them with all 3 of my 6.8 rifles never failed me. I order one or 2 a week. Like an addiction.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wth??? you're not going to shoot anything anyway!!!

In between diaper changes (for my 9 week old, not me) I've managed to get my 6.5 sighted in at 50 yards. Having a 22 month old and a 9 week old leaves me with very little time to do anything but plot DJ's demise.

God help him if I ever get his email address or his home address!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wanting some 20 rounders for my *** 6.8s. Couldn't find any a year ago. After the PRI 15 rd mag spring broke this weekend I checked CPDs website and they have some 20 rounders available so I ordered 2 of them last night and just got a shipping label in my email. Ohh BOOIYY!