LWRC SIX8 A2 6.8 SPC Gun Review.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Admittedly I ordered the gun on a bit of an impulse. A handful of days prior I found myself in a situation where 3 adult ferrel hogs were charging towards me during a night time hunt. Even though my 2nd shot changed the path and direction of the charging hogs, I decided it was time to start hunting with a 30 round clip, and a semi-auto where if need be I could throw lead as fast as I could pull the trigger towards a charging hog.

Todd, AKA TexasLawMan, here on Lone Star Boars has posted many videos and postings with his LWCR 6.8 SPC. I simply had the impression that LWCR produced better then average semi-auto guns.

First and foremost keep in mind I don't write for a gun magazine, nor was I offered the gun to write a review. Just like any average Joe I plunked down the cash and drove home with the gun.

When I got home from my local gun shop, Crosshairs, in Bastrop TX. I started a internet search for reviews on my soon to be new A2. Nothing. There were plenty reviews for other models, but nothing on the A2. I decided to throw up a post on this new 6.8 spc section on Lone Star Boars.

Out of the box, at a glance it resembles your average AR you can easily find in any big box gun store. I like a sexy black gun as much as the next guy, and sure there are a few bells and whistles cosmetically on this gun you may not find on another. What I did know and understand in advance was that the upper, lower and PMAG were all specify redesigned around the 6.8 round. The lower will not accept other 6.8 mags. The 3 features combined were suppose to produce a smooth running AR that preforms equal with any quality 5.56. What I didn't know about or understand was the short stroke piston system, and the Nickel-boron coated bold carrier. The owner of Crosshairs explained the superior quality of these two features, and simply put, he said it made for a much cleaner firing AR platform gun. After purchasing two QD sling mounts I was on my way home.

More then anything I wanted to know how well it shot, and how accurate it was.

After a quick bite, and briefly flipping through the manual, I stepped outside with 10 rounds of American Eagle 115 gr fmg ammo with to try the included iron sights. I setup at 60 yards, & ended up with fair results on shots 8 9 & 10 after sight adjustments on shots 1-7.

28u7i2r.jpg

Thursday . After work I attached my Bushnell 18x scope, and set out to try both the American Eagle ammo, and the Hornady 120 gr sst ammo I had on hand. I usually walk the 100 yards in-between shots to view the location of impact on the target however its too easy to see each shots location with the 18x scope so I may have not given the gun enough time to cool down between shots.

I noticed after 12 rounds or so the group size increased, which I would expect form a "hot" barrel, and noticed it was more then warm to the touch. After letting the gun cool down over my AC vent in the floor of my house for 10 min. I was back in action.

Now out to 100 yards with the Hornady ammo I was able to obtain a decent group. Three shots within an 1.25".

Time to attach the Zues Thermal scope. After cleaning the barrel, and attaching the thermal scope I went out with more of the Hornady ammo. I didn't take long to get close to the hand warmer packet I used as a thermal target however with each 2 shot group the groups got worse. Also I noticed the discharged shells were landing in the 1 to 2 o'clock area.

Friday night. Now Im a little disappointed. After a quick trip to the local big box gun store for ammo. I was out the door with 20 more rounds of American Eagle, 50 rounds of Hornady 110 american hunter, and a box of 20 Remmington 115 fmj.

I simply used a plain sheet of paper & an Ice cube in a zip lock bag as a target.

jzabte.jpg

The lone large drawn circle is the location of the ice cube. I had expected the impacts to hit left of the cube, and had left the settings on purpose with the idea of not destroying the ice cube. I simply was looking for group sizes.

I took two shots with the 110 gr hornady. I had hoped to have the best results with this round as I use a hpbt hornady in .308 in my rem 700 sps with great results on hogs. This 6.8 round was poor at best. The first hornady 110 gr round hit close to the ice cube, the 2nd more then an inch and a half away.

Next Remmington 115 fmj. At this point I walked the 100 yards between each shot giving the gun a chance to cool down a bit. After 3 shots and a 3" group you might suspect my ability to shoot. Then last the American Eagle 115 fmj. Props to federal as you can see, another nice fairly tight 1" give or take group. Its not the round I wanted to hunt with.

Saturday night. While at work I had decided to take off the thermal scope and put the 18x back on for more ammo trials. With the American Eagle and the Hornady american gunner netting the best results I decided to stick between the two and setup for 5 round groups. I started out at 50 yards.

2enc5ex.jpg

At 50 yards & 5 shots the American Eagle was at about .75" Not bad. The 5 shot Hornady 110 gr, not pictured was @ about an inch. So I took the gun inside for a min, setup a new target, and walked it out to 100 yards.

Keep in mind I walked the distance between each shot.

2yov67m.jpg

Shots with the Hornady 110gr bthp 1 2 &3 looked promising, shots 4 & 5 bumped the group out to about 2".

Monday morning. My faith in this gun has increased a bunch! Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights I took the gun out hunting, each night I got a raccoon. Each hit was a head shot from a bogpod tripod while standing on the roof of my Chevy Suburban @ 100 yards.

Well its been a little over 5 months since I purchased the 6.8, and decided to wrap up the review.

I'll add a few more pictures in a followup post on this thread. However simply put Im happy with my purchase. Now that Im reloading, the gun likes 115 Sierra hpbt, & Barnes 95 & 110 ttsx. Sierra 90 sp also produced nice groups @ 100 yards.

Over all Im getting an average of 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards. Sure it would be nice to have a sub moa gun, however more importantly, it has yet to fail to load or fire after close to 500 rounds. I love hunting hogs with the LWRC A2, The lighter recoil compared to my .308 is a bonus on top of the 30 round mag in the event I get charged. Which actually happened shortly after the purchase, and the sow dropped 15 yards in front of me after taking 5 shots at her.

Last edited:

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice!!! I will say I was tempted when CDNN has a sell on Six8's a couple months ago. But I decided on NFA stuff instead. I will say I am digging my Six8 receiver set and six8 pmags are awesome. I though I was throwing money out the window, but now it is my go to gun. Money well spent.

Ed308

In my dreams...
I've been watching those Six8 at CDNN for months. I finally couldn't resist when they have just one Six8 SPR. Got it this week. Impressed with the build quality. I be breaking it in tomorrow. Hope it shoots as well as my *** barrels.

CDNN has only a few left on their website. They have one black A2 for $1499.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Followup post

This LWRC 6.8 A2 has been great! It would be better if it was as accurate as an ***, however its hard to beat how smooth it runs. The 6.8 round is for sure big enough to hunt medium sized game considering I've shot and dropped several in there tracks with a single shot including a 250 lb wild boar.

2412jhk.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you are liking your new rifle. If I was not already invested in the AR 15 6.8 and was starting all over fresh that is the way I would go...good choice.

D

djones

i like that gun too. the hi-cap pmag is all out badass.