Luna Optics LN-EIR-3 Shorts out

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Do any of you guys have this illuminator? I removed the filter on the lense to give the light more power, but in doing so it now shorts out (turns off) under the recoil of my gun. I cost me a couple of kill shots on a group of pigs this past weekend because it is pretty tough to follow a running hog with a strobe light. Before I removed the filter this was never a problem so I think it must be related.

Also, the push button tail cap is very loose and the housing that hold the battery in place is very flimsy now. This could also be a reason for the shorting out issues.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine just did the same thing! The end cap is loose on some and the need's to be re-soldered back. Mine was fixed under warranty.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did you also remove the filter and did that cause you any issues? It is great it is covered under the warranty though, but I think I may need to reinstall that filter before I send it back to them.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The filter had nothing to do with mine. Mine was the end cap was messed up from the factory and the recoil found it. No problems since it was fixed.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good deal. I will contact Luna and get it shipped back. Thanks for chiming in.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are these anything like the regular flashlights? Inside the tail cap... are there two little holes (180 degrees apart)? Winding them down snug again (with a little spanner type tool, or the little pin tipped pliers for working c-clips or e-clips) helps with the flashlights... wondering if these are constructed in a similar fashion?

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Do any of you guys have this illuminator? I removed the filter on the lense to give the light more power, but in doing so it now shorts out (turns off) under the recoil of my gun. I cost me a couple of kill shots on a group of pigs this past weekend because it is pretty tough to follow a running hog with a strobe light. Before I removed the filter this was never a problem so I think it must be related.

Also, the push button tail cap is very loose and the housing that hold the battery in place is very flimsy now. This could also be a reason for the shorting out issues.

What ever the problem may be we will cover it under warranty!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which ever way you want Sir. If you mail it just include all your contact info and problem.

LOL How many times do you get "those calls" from irate people wanting to know what's happened with their item they sent... and they didn't provide a name/return address, or any other identifying information? LOL

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
LOL How many times do you get "those calls" from irate people wanting to know what's happened with their item they sent... and they didn't provide a name/return address, or any other identifying information? LOL
More than you know. We sometimes get firearms in to engrave with no information what so ever.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think there is just a tiny Allen screw holding it in.

tricone65

I don't see any allen screws on the lens anywhere. Took it out tonight and got a big boar. It has promise if I can get the filter out to reach full potential. It looks as if you would take the 4 Phillips head screws out and remove the front half of the unit. I don't want to tear it up and only had for 1 day.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Look on the outside diameter of the focus ring. There should be a couple of tiny Allen setscrews.

The lense can only be removed on the ELIR laser version. Not the LED version

tricone65

Just my luck. I purchased the LED version due to the advertised difference in view distance. I guess I will have to live with half the view.