Looking into possible trapping

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I have been thinking about trapping hogs in the near future. What you suggest is the best trap to use with ease of getting them from trap to trailer alive? I understand everyone will have an opinion on which they like, but I would love to hear what your opinion is. I have a neighbor who is a animal control officer and she gets asked all the time if she knows of someone who would trap their hogs. The thinking is, I can use this opportunity to trap them, move them to the area I hunt. And I also understand, they may not stay in my area but if it beefs up my area, it would be worth it... All the tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The reason I don't trap hogs is because it take alot of time and money to do it right.
If you don't get the entire sounder in one shot they will become trap shy and you will never trap that hog again. If it is a sow she will teach her piglets to be shy of traps too. So by not trapping correctly can cause more problems then solving them.

These videos is the best explanation I have seen and show you how proper trapping can be effective. It also shows you how improper trapping has reverse effects.

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/found-some-very-good-trapping-videos-on-youtube.1006/

I am not sure but I think catch and release of pigs is illegal in Texas. I could be wrong though, but I would call a game warden before catching and releasing. I tried looking on TPWD didn't find anything definitive.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The best traps I've seen are the camera monitored remote gate set. When the motion sensor is tripped you get an alert to your phone. From there you watch the love video feed until all the hogs are in then set the trap. Very nice but very expensive. The best way I have seento get them from trap to trailer is a round coral trap with a center pole and gate attached to the pole. This gate swings around forcing all the hogs into the trailer.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good advice above for the traps. I'm not sure on the laws in your area, but in some states it is illegal to trap and release hogs on other properties. Something you may want to look into.

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
Great Advice guys... I had already checked the laws about trapping and releasing in florida ... And I'm good as they would be released on private property...

wild hogs may be trapped using pens with trap doors and baited with acorns or old corn. Trapped animals may not be released on public land, and can only be released on private property with landowner permission. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A great hog trap is ALL about the gate. A gate that will continue to allow hogs to enter but cannot get out is(IMO)the way to go. If your gate is set up so that the first hog in trips the gate closed you will usually only get one hog. If a swinging gate will allow the "boss sow" into it and not get out,in most cases,given time,the rest of the sounder will follow.

I have talked to professional trappers over my way that trap on Eglin AFB,power plants,and the larger commercial properties along the Escambia River in NW Fla. They ALL use swinging gates. Some have one gate some use two gates. These gates swing one way only.

Succes in trapping hogs also has allot to do with the trap setup(location) and mostly.....THE BAIT USED. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter