Lone Star Boar AR Build

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I've had an AR15 lower and upper receiver with a bunch of parts and pieces for a build. Got a good tax return coming. So what to build caliber size and sight system.
Calibers I currently have (in different platforms) are .17 HMR, .223, .300AAC Blkout, .308 Win., and .30.06 spring.
I'm debating if I should get something in the .17 Rem., .204 .243, .270, 6.5, 6.8 window or step up and get a big bore .375 Socom, 400 Bush., 450 Socom, 500 Beowulf., or even those crazy .50 Cals you can put on a AR15 lower.

Purpose - I like building things with my hands.
Gun Purpose -Bang, bang, bang... But I want a true convertible gun both day and night. My current .300 is great for both day and NV hunts under 100 yards. But I've limited my distance due to the sight system I am currently running (Pulsar N550) and the caliber I am using (.300 AAC Blkout).

So if you could build a 400/500 yard day gun and a good 150 yard NV gun what caliber would you build and what sight system would you use? Whatever the build I'm gonna engrave the lower with LSB Image (with permission that is.... hint, hint....)

Budget $4,500.00-$5000.00

(Now convince me why I need your gun - bwhahahahaha....)

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you are wanting to stay with the AR-15 platform you will have to rule out the .243, .270, and 6.5 Creedmoor because the .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor take the AR-10 platform and the .270 is a long action.

************** does/did have a 270 AR that looked very pleasing but this is a wildcat that you must load for and can't recall if you needed to form the brass.

MDWS has the .277 Wolverine that has also become a good option but it is also a wildcat that does not offer ammo on shelves.

The large boar calibers are not going to be a good choice for 400/500 yards and are expensive to shoot.

My opinion that leaves you with a 6.8 SPC or a 6.5 Grendel and both are good very capable rounds. The Grendel is ballistically better at the longer ranges where as the 6.8 has more ammo choices, ammo is easier to find and the 6.8 is more efficient with the shorter 16-18" barrels.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^^THIS^^^^

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My vote for 6.8 or 6.5 ... since you already have a lower I would just build or buy an upper. Sending a PM about NV options as well.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.5 is an attractive round. Let the barrel search begin...

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.5 Grendel and the Predator 336 and you are covered. Second choice would be 6.8 but that is just me, ALRIGHTY THEN! BANG BANG!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.5 is an attractive round. Let the barrel search begin...

Talk to Brain here that is what he shoots and just won a great barrel...

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From Hornady's website
6.5 Grendel 123 gr SST (16" Barrel)
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
MUZZLE---------100------------200----------300---------400----------500
2350/1508---2189/1308---2034/1129---1885/971---1744/831---1612/709

6.8 SPC 120 gr SST (16" Barrel)
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
MUZZLE--------100-----------200------------300---------400---------500
2460/1612---2250/1349---2050/1120---1862/923---1685/756---1522/617

You can see that the 6.8 has an advantage past 200 yards, at 300 yards they are pretty much the same and the 6.5 has the advantage past 300 yards.

The 6.8 has more ammo available on the shelves. If you plan to reload then you can get better performance out of both rounds

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found with an *** 6.8 barrel you get better #'s out of it than the 6.5 anytime, his specs and treatment of the barrel cause this.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found with an *** 6.8 barrel you get better #'s out of it than the 6.5 anytime, his specs and treatment of the barrel cause this.
I agree but I just wanted to post that so that the OP could get a good idea of what he is looking at. Everyone knows I'm a 6.8 fanboy :)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 does have a velocity advantage out to 300 and 6.5 has a sectional density advantage throughout the flight.

Nothing wrong with being a 6.8 fanboy. It is a good round.

In the grand scheme, the differences are a wash for typical hunting.

If 277 Wolverine ever turns into a commercial cartridge, it may really be the way to go for AR15s.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
277 Wolverine. How do you guys learn about these calibers?!
If I get the Grendel I'd probably get the full 23" or 24" barrel just because I have more opportunities to poke at Puxatony Phil and Wiley Coyote in my part of the hemisphere. I did just build a .223 primarily for groundhogs. Check won't be in for a couple of weeks so I have time to think and ponder the caliber.

Any of you use your thermal for day hunts? I am assuming that is possible.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I played with my X320 while deer hunting and was able to see 3 to 4 times as many squirrels as I could spot without it. It was an eye opener.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
277 Wolverine. How do you guys learn about these calibers?!
If I get the Grendel I'd probably get the full 23" or 24" barrel just because I have more opportunities to poke at Puxatony Phil and Wiley Coyote in my part of the hemisphere. I did just build a .223 primarily for groundhogs. Check won't be in for a couple of weeks so I have time to think and ponder the caliber.

Any of you use your thermal for day hunts? I am assuming that is possible.

I usually stick with day scopes for day hunts ... you can use thermal too but like Brian mentioned, it doesn't work well during the summer or when it's hot and humid outside. I use a QD mount for day scopes and swap to the thermal at night (qd as well). Both have held zero decently.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I use a 6.8 and .277 woverine and I reload. You cannot buy .277 Wolverine ammo off the shelf at your local Academy but you can buy it from online sources like JB Firearm and Mid South.

Even though the 6.8 is becoming popular, ammo can be difficult to find locally too.

.277 Wolverine

You can go to Mark's website to learn about the .277 Wolverine (reload, ballistics, commerical ammo, etc) @ Mad Dog Weapon Systems.

Last edited: