Lightweight Hog Trap

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a Lightweight Hog Trap I designed because people kept asking for an inexpensive trap. Problem is I sell 3 or 4 of them to every regular trap now. The issue that many people have is that they never catch hogs.
I set this up last night before dark about 10 miles from home just to get some pictures of trapped hogs.
The key here was setting up on a trail where hog sign was found. Then creating a natural funnel with some branches laying around just so they don't avoid the trap. In the dark they will smell the corn and fight to get to it first often. 2-- 40 lbers roughly. Got them home, first one in the pen no problem, second one I was cutting the rope off her legs and holding one leg to toss her in the pen but she was so muddy my leather gloves got slippery and she bolted. I cahsed her with my 22 pistol and popped a couple rounds in her but she kept on trucking. Woke up the neighborhood with the squealing and shooting. Oh well, they're getting used to me.Hog trap and 2 hogs caught 005.JPG Hog trap and 2 hogs caught 007.JPG Hog trap and 2 hogs caught 006.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Would a large boar go right through it getting out? You are right, most folks don't know how to set the trap up or camo it in if you will. Brush them in and funnel to the opening. need to bring me a couple of those!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, these traps are amazingly strong. I took a hammer to the top and swinging as hard as I could trying to break the welds on the panels to open the top up so I can pull the pigs out the top.(Video Coming) I could not break a weld as hard as I tried. The sides and back are 1 piece that is bent in the rear and the bottom and top are welded on. The door has 2 strong springs to keep it closed, I would say that it is virtually impossible for a hog to escape these traps.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
welded is the key, I thought maybe it was secured w the clamps...so you have to crawl in to get them out after a 22 to the head or scare them into a pen or loader? That has to be light and looks like it fits in the bed of a pickup, how much do you charge? Nice job

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I pull my hogs through the top. I use a lariat and choke them out, then pull them up and tie them. Got tired of them fighting back. lol
This trap was a trap for sale so I grabbed it and ran off to set it up quick so it wasn't set up to be used by me. I don't trap anymore really.
I sell them for 185.00. I have the cheapest traps in San Antonio and the most expensive and a bunch in between.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Darn $185, that is a good price, wish you were closer I would do 2 of them. Shame I did not know you when I lived at Canyon Lake.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya, I will get with you and IF my health holds up just a little bit longer when I go out to the lease (not mine a friends) I will arrange to get one and they can have a new trap on their place. Way cool and a nice couple porkers!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is easy to move around!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good info. Thanks Dan!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice lookin' trap there Kemosabe. Light/mobile is kewl.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok. 2nd night with lightweight trap. Either the trap was tripped by raccoons and door was already shut when hogs arrived or more likely hogs came from the side of the trap, direction of yesterdays catch. Anyways, the hogs tried to get to the corn from the side, the trap being light and super easy to move on top of the wet grass, they did just that. It was moved about 2' sideways with a big wallow where they ate all my bait. I reinforced the sides from moving with some branches and added some weight on top for tonight's episode. Need T-posts in this situation but used what I had. Maybe they will be back tonight. Wasted opportunity but a good lesson on these lightweight traps

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Simple rebar stakes on the sides would keep it from moving too..also maybe put the bait in a rubber livestock pan to keep it off the ground.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Reminds me of trying to catch opossums in a live trap. They will do everything to get the bait without going in the trap. I actually started putting the bait under the trap in a hole and staking down the trap so the opossums couldn't get to it without going in. Sneaky little rats.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Checked hog trap again this morning. Door closed..no hogs. Ground was tore up on the one side. I can clearly see the trail they are using now because it is getting muddy. If they come to the trap from the side they do not go around looking for away in, just muscle their way at that spot and leave. That is why it is imperative to have the door in the right spot every time. The original trail I caught hogs on the first night is where they are leaving the woods to head out to the fields at night. I moved trap back to original spot but farther in away from mud hole they created. Should have hogs tonight. Also there was some leftover corn on ground from last nights trap so I made a box with logs and hid a Bridger #5 trap on the way in chained to a tree. If I catch a big one it may be tore and gone but a smaller hog should be caught. May check setup tonight after dark.phone march 10 007.jpg phone march 10 006.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good luck, looks like you have them figured out.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like they figured me out. I have a big set of tracks all around. Set up trail camera yesterday, he came in just after 8 pm then after midnight. Came right by my trap and went to the bait with the leg trap, instead of going to the opening I made he pushed all the logs on top of the leg trap and feasted. Now I know who I am dealing with, I will pull my trap later today, set up a blind and try to hammer him tonight (provided the wind is right) with the AR. He is coming from neighbors property so not much hope of stalking him. He will change his routine soonhorse ranch 006.JPG horse ranch 009.JPG so really my last chance at him is tonight. No thermal, no NV, hope he comes early!!!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck, I hope you whack him. Looks like a nice hog!! If you have some smellums maybe you can get him out early?? BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love this a plan and a sneak attack...good luck!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The saga continues... I didn't go kill that lone boar last night, wanted one last shot at trapping him because I have people that will buy them alive. Well, he was apparently with the little guys the other night that were trapped and he will not go in a trap. This area is rich with food and the hogs I have caught around here have been very heavy and thick so they are not starving for food. Last nights pics showed he is coming out earlier every night so tonight I really need to hammer him for the land owner's sake. Now..do I go sit on the ground and risk getting busted (it's a small small area) or get there a bit early and set up a pop-up blind and risk that being a new smell or sight he isn't used to. I would use my longbow but it's too long for my blind. I do have a compound, maybe.hmmmhorse ranch 001.JPG horse ranch 004.JPG