Lexus LX470 off road capability

LSB Active Member
Got a chance to use my dad's old 470 this fall and winter and given the rain I'm pretty much screwed w/o 4wd. If I slap some offroad tires on it what is the consensus on clearance and general offroad capability. It's a heavy mofo! I've seen what it can do on dry terrain, but not sure about wet. No climbing here just wet and soggy. No bueno? It's either that or buy a quad....or a canoe.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are you talking about a muddy lease or ranch? If you have to go through wet muddy pasture or low water crossings I'd pass.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it is your only option, I'd go with off road tires that would provide maximum traction (Swampers, Boggers, etc.) AND a locking differential for the rear axle. If you don't have a locking rear diff without 4x4, I'd pass. A Detroit Locker would be the route I would go if I put a locker in the rear.

LSB Active Member
If it is your only option, I'd go with off road tires that would provide maximum traction (Swampers, Boggers, etc.) AND a locking differential for the rear axle. If you don't have a locking rear diff without 4x4, I'd pass. A Detroit Locker would be the route I would go if I put a locker in the rear.
Yea not going to do all that he gets it back in the spring. Makes no sense to drop all that money on mods for a few months that I gotta take off or throw out. Sounds like a stock LX 470 is about as useful as a screened door on a submarine for my muddin needs! I'm a little surprised it's so bad b/c I was of the mindset it's basically a Land Cruiser and my buddy in LA uses his LC like a mud boat!

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The GX470 is the same frameengine, and running hear as a 4th gen v8 4runner. Pretty capable vehicles with decent tires. Theu sit low to the ground though and need a 2-3" lift. I'm pretty sure they are equip with Toyota's ATRAC system, which uses the ABS system to transfer power to the wheels that are spinning.

I've sank my 4th gen 4runner pretty deep and have been able to get out. I only have a/t tires and not swampers. Lancer used to habe a sequoia that he got through some nasty mud with me in it. It had ATRAC. Lots of throttle, speed l, and don't let up until you're through.

The issue arises when you're stuck after doing that. You're just that mich more STUCK!

LSB Active Member
I've been rolling the dice big time in my 5th gen 2wd using speed, but now it's just so wet it's impossible. The more I think about it though with the hogs leaving the fields for the feeders I don't really need it as much. We haven't seen a hog out in the open since we turned out 16 feeders on and probably won't until we bleed them dry again for spring turkey. They sit in the swamp all day, jump the state property fence to a feeder and go back. Fall/Winter mode now.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The LX470 is the same as the 100 tries Land Cruiser. They are heavy vehicles but with the right set of tires can do fairly well. My 80 Series has surprised me on numerous occasions. If it's an early model it could have the optional rear diff lock which is even better. A-TRAC wasn't added until 2000.