Leupold Thermo Monocular

jglass

LSB Member
Went to Cabela's in the Northwest suberbs of Chicago yesterday to look at Thermo imaging optics. I looked into a Leupold Tracker monocular. This was the first time I had a Thermo imaging device in my hand. WOW, that thing was neat, only wish I could have taken it outside the store. It was very compact and I liked it. Now I want one.

Amazing, the store people are not well versed on this night vision and Thermo imaging equipment. One sales person was describing the weaknesses of thermo imaging when in reality he was describing night vision instead. They had a ANT Thor night vision scope but tried to sell it to me as a Thermo for $700. I told them if it was thermo for $700 I would get my credit card out. It as night vision, still a nice scope though. I'm rather fond of the same ANT Thor in Thermo, "ATN Thor HD 1.25 - 5X 385". Once I know my hunting lease is renewed I think I'm going to buy one.

ATN ThOR-HD 384x288 Thermal Night Vision Smart HD Rifle Scope w/ Free S&H — 4 models

There is a ATN Thor HD 640 thermo for sale used on Craigslist real close to home. This retails for over $5000, the guy wants $4300 for it. It is a 25X, way more scope than I need and more money than I care to spend. This guy is going to have a tough time selling this scope around here. The only thing to night hunt is coyotees. I wonder if he would shoot me if I offered $2500?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Study up on NV and thermal BEFORE you invest. Take the time to learn the goods and bads on any equipment that you could possibly buy. Be realistic as to what you want it to/expect it to do. How many times per month will you use the unit ??
Read all the feedback on the Leupold units. I have read some "not so great" stuff about them.
Remember . . . basically . . . you will get what you pay for. --- pruhdlr

jglass

LSB Member
The firefield was the cheapest night vision scope I could find and I worked out great. Just turn it on and it is ready to put the crosshairs on a hog. Just like daylight shooting.

https://www.amazon.com/Firefield-FF...&sr=8-1&keywords=firefield+night+vision+scope

I'm attracted to the ATN Thor because of all the bells and whistles mostly the ability to take pictures and videos. I'm thinking the
Thermo imaging will be able to see further into the jungle vegetation. Hard to see into the vegetation with night vision but will continue to use it. Hope I understand this correctly.