Let's talk about thermal clip-ons

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which scope or sights to use? An Aimpoint , an Eotech?

Which clip-on for what set of circumstances?

Can clip-ons be used stand alone?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Best thermal clip-on that's on the market hands down is the L3 LWTS but they are $11-12k. Next price point is around $8k for the Armasight Apollo 640 and $5-6k for the 320. I liked what I saw with these units when we did the comparison a while back. At this point I wouldn't buy any other clip-on. When it comes to scopes to mount it in from of you want to stay around 4x, anything higher will affect the seen image. My choice is an ACOG but you can use any scope. Remember you are zooming in on a screen. Using a 1x optic like an EOTech or Aimpoint you would need to use the digital magnification on the clip-on but doing this will greatly reduce your resolution.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Everything hd said.

The Apollo is pretty darned sweet, no doubt. (1st choice)

You can also go with something like the IR Hunters that will work, but they also have magnification, so if you have much magnification on your scope as well, then you have a field of view that is TINY, but they can be used in that manner. They can be had for a few thousand.

Then there are the Eotechs and they start around, what, $16K and go up from there.

You have FLIRs, big name brand but not as amazing as they sound.

There are a lot of functional options out there (by 'lot' I mean more than 5, LOL), but you want value for the $ given your previous posts and the Apollo seems to fill that niche best.

If you check into the Apollo, make sure it comes with the aiming reticle so that it can be used as a stand alone sight. As Delta4-3 noted, Armasight stopped putting reticles in them for a while but have apparently added them back. So double check before buying.