Let's call it a ranch gun

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a friend that is looking at getting a large plot of land in northern Florida. I have offerend to help him with a lot of tasks that need to be done on this land. So I'm going to build an AR to keep in my truck. I have though of a few possibilities of what I want in a rifle and then of corse I start thinking about it being a rifle to keep in the truck every time I use the truck.

So now I'm going to build a rack behind the seat of my reg cab dakota to mount an AR. If you were going to build something that was a grab and go rifle where would you begin? I have uppers and lowers. I'm thinking ill use one of my NFA polymer loweres to keep it light. Not sure what I want for a caliber though. I love the idea of .223 for bulk ammo, large capacity, ease of locating ammo(eventually). The problem with that is the effectiveness of the .223 cartridge. If I'm going up to the property and want to hog hunt, a .223 is not my first choice. Using my poly lowers, I have never had a problem, even with putting one under my 458 socom so I'm not limited by that.

Where would you start? What would be your grab and go caliber? I want to have good capacity, don't want to rely on only loading my own ammo just in case.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am a 6.8 guy, will kill anything in FL and run a 10 rd mag w a 25 as a back up, actually for a truck gun my 6.8 pistol is the best of all worlds! The NFA pistol lower in $154 complete.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's hard to have a gun that is a true do it all but I will agree with TLM on a 6.8. It is a caliber that I feel comfortable shooting anything that I would want to hunt. I know ammo for it cost more and can be harder to get but right now what ammo isn't.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Once ammo starts coming back it won't be so bad. I have a bunch of 6.8 ammo already and that was my first thought. I was pondering a pistol but if I start a pistol build I really need to finish my 30 hrt project. I guess there's isn't much out there that will be as easy to find ammo for and still enough gun for most any situation.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok next question....... Optics. It's going to be in a truck a lot. What should go on top of it?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another hard one when wanting a 1 setup does it all. Guess it depends on if you're going to run NV sometime. No NV I'd say ACOG, love mine. They are extremely durable, fast and 4x. If you plan on NV in the future I'd go with EOTech. As TML said light, fast and compact.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only nv I have is a rifle mount. I need someone to donate a head mount to a good cause

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am doing the same thing. I keep going between a 5.56 or a 6.8, but leaning toward a 6.8. I have also been pondering using a NFA barrel like around 12" or so and make a pistol out of it.

One thing is for sure I will have a eotech with flip irons. Everything else will be franken parts that I have picked up over the years.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If its going to be used on hogs at all I would do 6.8 .223 is just to light. I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this! And I know you can kill them with a .223 Ive killed many with one, along with a .22lr. but they just are not the best choice for hogs.

Simple Man

LSB Member
Vendor
Growing up in Florida I would say you are good to go with a 6.8 Rig. You said Northern florida so your probably going to have some rolling terrain and all your shots in the 300 range. This is the 6.8 sweet spot for sure.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From what I have seen on the land the longest shot will probably be under 150 yards. I love having a 223 just because but I can't see using it specifically as self defense against hogs. There's always the 308 route but I don't want an ar-10 plus I have so many parts for ar-15's I might as well stick with that. I guess the search is on for a 16" barrel and a bolt. I was going to build a double rack and throw my T/C encore in there. I have a 300 win mag barrel but I decided I don't want a 300 win mag. I threw that up for trade all over the place. I think I'll just stick with the ar and my P220

Simple Man

LSB Member
Vendor
One thing about your comment on availability of ammo. Its availability in either caliber is proportional to the amount of companies offering it but for the most part 6.8 is actually easier to find because less people use it compared to the masses seeking .223/556. At least thats what I've seen lately.

dhwave

Ok next question....... Optics. It's going to be in a truck a lot. What should go on top of it?

keeping it simple 5.56 and irons... need a bit more I have had good luck with redfield scopes. I prefer the 6.8 but I don't think it is currently (as simple as a 5.56.) *** has 5.56 lightweight barrels in stock and I think most of us from the 6.8 forms are big fans of his work, unfortunately he just ran out of 5.56 bolts.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lately nothing is available lol. Before the insanity I had no problem finding 223 ammo. It was because of that my 223 ended up with a slide fire stock. We used to mag dump it all the time. I had 60 and 100 round mags and we would go through ammo like it was free. Now not so much. The 223 hasn't left the safe

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
keeping it simple 5.56 and irons... need a bit more I have had good luck with redfield scopes. I prefer the 6.8 but I don't think it is currently (as simple as a 5.56.) *** has 5.56 lightweight barrels in stock and I think most of us from the 6.8 forms are big fans of his work, unfortunately he just ran out of 5.56 bolts.
I love my *** 6.8 barrels. I'm still waiting for H to get his 6mm barrels. I have been watching the 68 forum just waiting. I want a 6mm BRX

dhwave

I love my *** 6.8 barrels. I'm still waiting for H to get his 6mm barrels. I have been watching the 68 forum just waiting. I want a 6mm BRX
yup I have one of his 6mm BR bolts and I have my name in the hat for a BR barrel. I'll replace my grendel barrel and bolt from JP with this. Should lighten the rifle up significantly and still shoot better than I can :D

edit maybe spell better as well!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every time it comes up over on the 68 forums about 6mm barrels I get all excited