Lee Dead Length Bullet Seating Die

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Subject: Dead Length Bullet Seating Die
When using this die it seemed to be deforming the tip of the Berger 168 gr VLD 30 CAL bullets while seating. When I looked at the part that actually touches the bullet while seating I realized that rather than pushing uniformly where it comes in contact with the side of the bullet it exerts ALL of the seating pressure on the tip of a bullet. This seems to slightly deform any bullet loaded in general and in particular the VLD type of bullets.

I can't use this tool. The whole idea of the long distance bullets like the VLD is its high BC and that has to be affected by the deforming of the bullets tip... Is this how all dies accomplish bullet seating?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The searing stems on most dies contact the side of the bullet not the top. I have noticed on a few of my lee dies like my 38/357 or my 45 colt dies that it's not the right shape for things like the ftx bullet and it will deform them. I have since replaced my hornady seating stems with ftx seating stems and I no longer have that problem. I still have a problem with my 45 colt die. It likes to deform hollow points quite a bit. That's my next die set to replace.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Sounds like the type of problem requiring some research before buying a seating die. I tried that with my Lee but couldn't find any definitive information on their web site, just the usual marketing bs. Sent them a customer support question re this problem, see what they say.
I have to do something because I have a lot of .30 cal to reload, with a variety of bullets. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have noticed hornady is made a lot better

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
ok, tks

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most of my dies are lee. The only problem I end up with anymore is they leave a seating ring on the bullets on my big bores

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Most of my dies are lee. The only problem I end up with anymore is they leave a seating ring on the bullets on my big bores
That's interesting. With the way the stem is made I would expect a ring on something like a .45 acp or .450 Marlin but even my .30 Speer Hot-Cors are not a tight fit but ride on the top of the bullet and leave a slight deformation in the lead...
I wonder how the Hornady Microjust Seating Stem would help?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have yet to try that one. I just loaded up some 308's for my friend the other night. Used my standard lee dies like I always do and loaded 150gr sst's. No deformation on any of them. No seating rings either. Now I have noticed when I load fmj round nose in my 45 acp it does flatten the tip on those when I use the seating die to crimp the bell back. I have slightly belled all my 45 cases to make for easier loading and less damaged cases. If I seat the bullets then back off the seating stem and use the seating die to roll crimp I don't get any deformation on my 45's

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
I use the Lee crimp die that came with my .308 set and it seems to do a pretty good job.