Lead cast bullets in AR

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the NOE 247gr mould for my .300 blackout.
I've been told by some that shooting these will clog up the gas ports.
Is this true? Even subsonic? I really would love to use these bullets!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a lot of lead in my 458 socom and 338 spectre. I just pulled my spectre apart and checked the gas tube and its clean. Just clean the bore well after shooting them. Are they gas checked?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chore boy copper scrub pads is what the cast boolit crowd recommends!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those work well too

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love the cast boolits site, there's so much info over there.

JamesB74

LSB Member
I guess looking at this. The quantity that I shoot pistols in it would be better to keep buying in bulk. BUt would be interesting for casting for 45colt and 45/70 and 44 mag in the future.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i cast for my 38/357. i know nothing about it but i get consistent bullets that shoot really well. i have almost 1500 pieces of brass and i have loaded each one at least twice. saves a ton now

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
took me a little while but i started getting perfect bullets after a little reading

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Personally....it would not be so much of the lead shaved by the gas ports,thing...it would be wondering what the waxy lube on the lead bullets is doing to my action.

NOT for me. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So how hard is it to cast bullets? Primarily .45/70,44 mag, and other pistol level bullets?

It's just like anything else... fine tuning your touch with your tools is one big key, getting the hardness of the alloy dialed in, keeping your mould from cooling off between casting. Definitely WELL ventilated. Molten lead fumes lack Zest. I've helped my buddy do ingots, down-rigger balls, .44 bullets, .45 bullets. A good mould is also your friend.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What little lead that gets into the gas port (should be none) would certainly be blown through the gas tube, there is a lot of pressure in there ( the lube will burn off). Thorough cleaning of the bolt carrier and gas ring area of the bolt might be warranted on a more stringent basis.
Just thinkin.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i shoot a lot of lead through my 458 socom and through my 338 spectre and i have never had any problem with lead going through the gas system.