LBJ and Caddo National Grasslands Turkey Hunting

dan11589

I'm trying my hand at turkey hunting this year as a continuation of my goal to broaden my hunting. This is the only hunting forum that I'm a member of so I figured I would ask here. Does anyone have experience with this area? I did some scouting yesterday, but thats all I'm going to get with my schedule before the season opens.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First thing is to locate them. Use a crow call or similar type call early in the morning to try to get a response. If no response use a hen call. If no response use a Gobble.
You may have to do this often. Sometimes they won't call back so keep your eyes peeled always looking. It's nice to be there the night before and "put them to bed". Call when they are going to roost or on their roost so in the morning you can slip in, get your decoys "quietly" stealthily set up. Get back a bit and call when it gets light. Don't try to call them "across" a river or even a fence, they usually will not come, fence maybe but river or water almost never. Shoot them and eat them up.

dan11589

My wife did say that I should drive in the night before. I could probably spend the evening trying to locate them and then grab a bite to eat and throw my bed roll in the back of the van and park at one of the free camping sites. Thanks for the advice about fences and water. I was unaware of that. I've seen a few photos from the youth weekend up there so hopefully I can make something happen.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm excited for you!! Turkey hunting is a blast.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you locate them in a tree, be careful not to set up too close. They are up high and can see you for quite a ways.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wear nothing blue

cover your face and don't even think of moving

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice gobbler ! Congrats.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Outstanding! Hard enough to get any turkey, even better on public land.

dan11589

I looked into LBJ, but it was really broken up and I wasn't sure where I could hunt. One of the spots on the map that showed to be hunting land had cattle grazing on it. I didn't want to end up being somewhere that I wasn't supposed to be.

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I looked into LBJ, but it was really broken up and I wasn't sure where I could hunt. One of the spots on the map that showed to be hunting land had cattle grazing on it. I didn't want to end up being somewhere that I wasn't supposed to be.

Go to the website and buy a map. Where do you live? I am in Coppell. If you are not too far I could meet you and show you the map I have.

Bill