Laws regarding discharging firearms in Harris County TX...

skwoodrow

Kingwood Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does anyone have any idea what the law says about discharging firearms in this county? I have done some searching but nothing clear. I am asking beacause I have come across this article about the neighborhood that I just moved into. Where I used to live in St. George UT, we could drive for 10 mins out of town and start shooting just about anywhere on BLM land. If I am able to, I would love to go out before kids get up for school and maybe have fresh bacon for their breakfasts!! :) Thanks a lot guys!!!!
http://www.click2houston.com/news/k...sues/-/1735978/21659996/-/iygeoc/-/index.html

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In unincorporated county you should be able to shoot. They did make a law a few years back that says your shot cannot cross your property line. This was complaints on urban bird hunters shot landing on nearby houses.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There are some unincorporated areas within the state of Texas that have been granted the authority to pass local ordinances. The only reason I know this is because I live in one of those areas. It may be best for you to check with your local law enforcement office as they will likely be the ones responding to anyone calling about someone discharging a firearm.

The law TLM is referencing in commonly called the trespass by projectile law, so far as I have been told it covers all projectiles.

I would think you could always set up a trap and dispatch them with an arrow though...

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a extra trap you can borrow if you want. I am not really into trapping and don't see me using it anytime soon.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In Bexar and Wilson County I believe the law states that you must have at least 12 acres. Don't tell the thousands of shooters on a 1/2 acre though. Sounds like firecrackers around here sometimes.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In Bexar and Wilson County I believe the law states that you must have at least 12 acres. Don't tell the thousands of shooters on a 1/2 acre though. Sounds like firecrackers around here sometimes.
I've heard rumors of this must be a local ordinance its not state law.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Since I work in Law enforcement in Harris County I will explain. At a public shooting range you may discharge a weapon. On your own property you may discharge a weapon as long as the projectile does not leave your property. If you are hunting someone elses property you must be an agent of the owner or have a signed landowners document stating you may hunt or target practice. Remember this about Harris County. I cannot think of any place that is not owned by someone. Be sure you get permission. You don't want to get a tresspass with a firearm charge put on you.

This applies to the county and not in the any city limits. They have their own laws.

I hope this helps

skwoodrow

Kingwood Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you all. This is VERY helpful to know. I definately do not want to cause any troubles. Rgilbert, thank you very much too!! The area that I THINK I have identified is so on the edge of city/county limits, that I will be passing on this. And this article was indicating that the hogs are only 1-2 miles away from me. Thank you very much Wassman, but I'm not to sure what I can do with a hog if I were to catch one. I read somewhere that I cannot transport a live hog unless I am going directly to a certified center or slaughterhouse. Saddly, I don't think my backyard fullfills that, and I do not want to incur a negative image if I were to dispatch the animal in the trap, considering the majority of type of homeowners in the area. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you all. This is VERY helpful to know. I definately do not want to cause any troubles. Rgilbert, thank you very much too!! The area that I THINK I have identified is so on the edge of city/county limits, that I will be passing on this. And this article was indicating that the hogs are only 1-2 miles away from me. Thank you very much Wassman, but I'm not to sure what I can do with a hog if I were to catch one. I read somewhere that I cannot transport a live hog unless I am going directly to a certified center or slaughterhouse. Saddly, I don't think my backyard fullfills that, and I do not want to incur a negative image if I were to dispatch the animal in the trap, considering the majority of type of homeowners in the area. Thank you again.

Well the offer still stands if you change your mind. As for what to do when you do catch one, a KaBar to the arm pit make quick work. But you are right they do scram bloody murder when pinned down for the kill. I would think with all the torn up lawns a squealing pig would be a welcoming sounds, but we are talking about kingwood though. Dam libtards.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And most of Kingwood is in the city limits of Houston. They have a bunch of rules about shooting. Even a bow.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have dispatched a pile of hogs with my 22 cal. pellet gun. Between the eyes and up about 4-5" and their rumps hit the ground before the head goes down. Doesn't get much quieter than that.