Kudos to 5.11 Tactical !!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last month, I purchased a "Mission Ready 2.0" rolling bag. Given that I travel (on average) 48,000 miles/yr. (4,000 miles/mo) my gear gets USED. I wore the wheels off my (literally) Swiss Gear rolling bag, a Samsonite didn't last 4 mos., and a cheapie I snagged while in Anchorage had a handle fall apart on me. Getting my luggage sorted out has been an adventure.

The Mission Ready 2.0 is just big enough that I can stuff my Rush 48 pack inside of it for the trip to the airport (walking to the bus... bus stop to light rail depot... light rail depot to the ticket counter...), pull the pack for "carry on" and check my Mission Ready 2.0. And, same routine at the other end of my destination. It also allows me the ability to (if needed) haul extra stuff on a given trip and to just wear the pack. Options are good.

First trip with the new Mission Ready 2.0. No issues headed north. Get home and a corner bumper is broken off the bag. (Thank you airline gorillas) I emailed 5.11 Tactical to inquire whether they could just send me a new bumper and I'd be happy to install it myself (looks simple enough to do). Didn't want to go through the hassle of sending the damaged bag to them (being without the bag) and waiting for them to send a replacement. My trips are too close to one another to risk it not getting here in time. So... they're gonna send me a new Mission Ready 2.0, and a Return Authorization within 1-2 days... and have me box up and send the damaged one back to them. Not really a "defective" item... but, not quite tough enough to withstand idiots that don't care about other peoples' things.

I've also offered them a suggestion to consider as an upgrade to this rolling bag. The have what's called their "Tier" system, allowing you to piggyback a Moab (single strap) pack to the face of a Rush (traditional two strap) pack. If they incorporate this attachment point to the Mission Ready 2.0 (and the two larger bags), a guy could secure his back pack to the bag's exterior as another roll along option. (I've figured out a way to do this on mine, will adapt it for use before my next trip).

In any case... responsive and timely CS emails, and friendly/willing to work with you attitude. All they asked of me was to send them photos of the damage and a pic of my receipt to prove purchase (all fair enough). And, once they understood my needs, agreed to send the replacement bag first, just asked for my shipping address.

I like my Maxpedition pieces... but, I'm REALLY liking my 5.11 Tactical gear even more. I've got four of their packs (different sizes), the Mission Ready 2.0 bag, and a number of the accessory pouches.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So a part broke off the first trip? At least the CS is great, looks like you might be needing it often.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Corner bumper, thanks to the luggage handler gorillas at the airport.

Bag001a_zps554f7939.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is it screwed from the inside to the bumper?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think so... I think it's a backing plate with tits that snap lock into corresponding holes on the outer half (or vis-a-versa)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ahhh I see, looks like a part that is going to fail again...we all know how badly bags are handled.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep. This is a "Gen II" offering of this bag. Improved design over "Gen I". This one stands on its own, and the two "feet" on the bottom have lash-down slots (to slide banding material/webbing through to palletize them. A few other minor differences. They have a YouTube vid to showcase the upgrades... just search of 5.11 Tactical's website.

I'm hoping they inspect the damaged area well and gorilla-proof it a little more. Only reason I brought it up to 'em is... it's "NEW" and it's a $250 bag.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... this morning, I watched the FedEx truck go passed. Thought I heard it stop... but, didn't hear any sounds on the porch. Turns out... my replacement luggage got delivered to my neighbor's house (instead of mine). Got the old one boxed up, sealed, and return label done... just need to send the old one back now. Folks at 5.11 did good.