Killed My Largest Boar Yet

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
I had spotted what I thought was a hulk of a hog in the wee hours of 21 March, as it was walking across a hay meadow. I was not able to head it off as I had hoped and lost it. I couldn't be for sure if it was a hog or not, but it was a large, heavy, fast-moving something (not Bigfoot).

Last night I started my rounds to see if I could thin out one of the sounders that love to work the pastures a bit more. As I crossed a creek on foot, I started scanning through the herd that was in front of me. Off to the side, and about 75 yards away from the furthest cow and calf was what looked like another fat calf (this is our fall-calf herd).

It took several scans, and moving up another 150 yards before I was sure that it was a hog. A pretty big hog for these parts too. However, I assumed it must have been around 200lbs or so.

I stalked as well as one can under a 96% moon, until I was at what I thought was 100 yards. Got set on my shooting sticks and pulled the trigger...

The hog immediately dropped...Yet I had Brian immediately come to mind with his "quality assurance" shots (it was almost as if he were saying it next to me :)), so I shot it again...and again. The darn thing did the Curly Shuffle for a good 60 seconds.

Unfortunately that third shot on a dead hog was right into the skull as I reviewed my video. I had really wanted to mount this one too. Oh well, at least I have pictures and a video.
20190322 Boar Island.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog, a good curly shuffle too. Too bad the mount got damaged.

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He's a monster! Watcha shooting with? Looks like a DD Ambush.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That’s a BIG hog! He was worth the stalk for sure. Interesting marking too. Good shooting!

J BAR K

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where in SE Oklahoma are you?

J BAR K

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’m not too far cross the river. Between Paris and Clarksville.