Just pulled the trigger on an IR Patrol

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... As soon as I was done hosing out the wagon and washed up, I was GTG.

I once ate my lunch in the hospital morgue while securing a frozen DB. We needed to get her thawed enough to straighten, so we could secure/seal the slab's door. Ya never know what the day will bring.

Ah the life of a public servant huh Ratdog? Those runs both sound familiar, I can smell them now.....

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah the life of a public servant huh Ratdog? Those runs both sound familiar, I can smell them now.....
LOL... yeah, they don't tell you (in the "come work for us" brochures) that 85% of your efforts are to be a human garbage man, dealing with the same 5% of the populous (day in/day out).

I had one frequent flier I'd jailed so many times, I had his information memorized (DOB, SS#, State ID number, address, phone number...). Wasn't a bad guy, just instant "stupid" when booze added, and, liked his booze.

The comical part of the honey-bucket wrestler... he was an ex-cop for the Dept. I was working for. Never had another dealing with him after that bad day he had. But, to this day, I remember his name and that day's encounter with him. LOL

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... yeah, they don't tell you (in the "come work for us" brochures) that 85% of your efforts are to be a human garbage man, dealing with the same 5% of the populous (day in/day out).

I had one frequent flier I'd jailed so many times, I had his information memorized (DOB, SS#, State ID number, address, phone number...). Wasn't a bad guy, just instant "stupid" when booze added, and, liked his booze.

The comical part of the honey-bucket wrestler... he was an ex-cop for the Dept. I was working for. Never had another dealing with him after that bad day he had. But, to this day, I remember his name and that day's encounter with him. LOL

Highest paid janitors and babysitters around. Yep dealing with the side of humanity most don't know exists.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Never really thought about it Ratdog, till you said dealing with the same 5% day in and day out. I guess that's really true isn't it?

But it makes total sense. People are either inherently good or they are not. The good you never meet and the not good you constantly meet.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Never really thought about it Ratdog, till you said dealing with the same 5% day in and day out. I guess that's really true isn't it?

But it makes total sense. People are either inherently good or they are not. The good you never meet and the not good you constantly meet.
LOL... indeed. For example... we had one "couple" (older) who would get tanked up and get to squabbling, and... she'd call 911. The routine was ALWAYS the same, nearly word for word. I got to where I could mimic their voices, and quote (nearly) verbatim what would be said. When I had a new person I was training, and we'd get a call to that address, I'd tell the new person, here's what's going to happen (and would mimic their voices as I'd site the dialog). We'd get to the house, knock on the door, and watching the new person keep a straight face was comical... the tones of voices and script was nearly verbatim.

There are reasons people in that line of work can become complacent in their routines dealing with the same folks day in and day out. And, it can become quite dangerous to do so. But, you'd go mad if you didn't seek out the humorous side of the job (in every chance you could find).

Drift

LSB Member
I like the back-and-forth discussion about which is the best liked thermal. It's kinda like the different thoughts between the Americans and Russians on the merits of the AK vs AR rifles...no one has yet to convince the other side which is the better rifle. I am left with the opinion that either scope is "good enough"

Drift

LSB Member
And the PIP feature in the Pulsar is something that Armasight may want to think about emulating.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Coming from someone who has had both, I would definitely vote for the patrol.

Now without a doubt, I don't have real-time usage with either of them. But I would give the patrol the thumbs up simply if for anything because of the size of the unit. It is much more compact, rounded, smooth and looks and functions like an every day regular scope.

The Armasite Zeus is very large and square like, and when compared to my buddy's rifle who I sold it to, it's actually a beast sitting on top of the gun.

Of course not all things are equal, and the Zeus has far more options than a patrol does. So if you're looking to do something other than simple night vision, definitely go for Zeus.

But if youre someone like me who likes simplicity, in actuality, all the different options made it much more confusing to me. I like knowing the patrol just simply has white or black. Which from what I have learned, is the only setting but 99% of everybody anyway.

That's size and appearances. As far as operation? It can't get any easier. And for a manual NUC? Easiest thing. Just turn it on, press the toggle switch down one time. That's it, all done.

The Quickstart menu only has four options. And they are the most used. Obviously for someone like me, the patrol wins over and over again.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It'd get lost w/o being able to hear it... both, my mimicking and then from their own words. Being familiar with the vernacular of the Arctic Inuit people would help considerably too. It's not really a "pigeon English"... but, terminology/phrases, grammar usage is unique at times. LOL

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I never thought about how complicated my Zeus was until now. Power on, shoot hogs, power off. Hmm. 99% of the time it stays white hot with the same reticle, with no additional magnification.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never thought about how complicated my Zeus was until now. Power on, shoot hogs, power off. Hmm. 99% of the time it stays white hot with the same reticle, with no additional magnification.
Kind of the beauty of the device I guess. Just because there are so many options to choose from, it doesn't have to be endlessly complicated to use. Just sort through it to find what appeals to you and make your selections for it to default too? Then, on/use/off? Nice when the variety for different folks' needs is built in, with an ability to lock in favorite features.

Louis Richards

LSB Member

Comprehension is truly the most vital part of reading Taco.

I already said 99% of everybody keeps it in black-and-white,
thus, not complicated...

What I did say was the options made it MORE confusing compared to a PATROL. And that was ONE very small part of many other larger things.

And considering the mass popularity of it, I'm not the only one that thinks that. As I have read over and over and over about how simple it is to use.

JPK

LSB Active Member
If simple is what you seek, the IR Defense MK II and III are actually a little simpler than the Patrol from a set up and menu selection perspective, because of the three turret controls. But once you make the menu selections you want, the Patrol's quick menu is hard to beat.

Louis, you will get better performance from the Patrol if you NUC it four or five times in the first few minutes after start up and another several time as it warms up, until its been on maybe 10mins, and then an occasional NUC after that. With a Butler Creek cap, NUC'ing is an easy one handed affair.

JPK

Louis Richards

LSB Member
If simple is what you seek, the IR Defense MK II and III are actually a little simpler than the Patrol from a set up and menu selection perspective, because of the three turret controls. But once you make the menu selections you want, the Patrol's quick menu is hard to beat.

Louis, you will get better performance from the Patrol if you NUC it four or five times in the first few minutes after start up and another several time as it warms up, until its been on maybe 10mins, and then an occasional NUC after that. With a Butler Creek cap, NUC'ing is an easy one handed affair.

JPK

Thanks JPK. I thought only once was needed so good to know that I should do it several times. No I am very happy with the patrol and it's simplicity. I cant imagine it getting any simpler.

I haven't got that cap yet because I find it pretty easy just to put the palm of my hand over it when I do it.

JPK

LSB Active Member
For something like $12, get the BC cap, you will get a better NUC because the cap is uniform and held closed allows no gaps.

Also, do you know that the quick menu is configurable? I haven't bothered yet but would like to put brightness on the quick menu in lieu of the image capture.

JPK

Louis Richards

LSB Member
For something like $12, get the BC cap, you will get a better NUC because the cap is uniform and held closed allows no gaps.

Also, do you know that the quick menu is configurable? I haven't bothered yet but would like to put brightness on the quick menu in lieu of the image capture.

JPK

???? Are you serious? Hell no I didn't know. But glad to know now :)

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Comprehension is truly the most vital part of reading Taco.

I already said 99% of everybody keeps it in black-and-white,
thus, not complicated...

What I did say was the options made it MORE confusing compared to a PATROL. And that was ONE very small part of many other larger things.

And considering the mass popularity of it, I'm not the only one that thinks that. As I have read over and over and over about how simple it is to use.

Louis your posts about you reading this and that are just so much verbal wankery. It's a shame to me that said wankery is dominating the nv/thermal forum. You're an annoying guy. I wish you'd pipe down for awhile.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Actually Taco, this is MY thread that I started. I get to dominate it if I want. I'm not dominating others threads, thus, I'm not dominating the night vision, thermal world. It is only my threads that I post in. But you wouldn't be aware it was my thread, because you never read it to begin with.

Second, considering it is 11 pages long, there is great information to be shared in these posts and others are taking an active participation. Positively i might add.

You? You first appeared on page 7 or 8 of a very long thread, oblivious to what was written before hand, didn't care to read, and your only few posts have been a direct sarcastic attack on me, without us ever being introduced or having you post anything that I wrote on any other thread.

ALL of your posts were exactly what you portray I am doing, VERBAL YANKERY. Talking crap about how you wish the thread would go away, you got drunk to celebrate it, while not ever having made a post on this thread to begin with!!!

You Taco, sound like a complete, moronic idiot to me. You are definitely a troublemaker. You bounce on my thread and start talking crap to me and personally, I don't take kind to it.

You have not brought anything to this thread whatsoever, but sarcasm and personal attacks on your very first, and hopefully, your last post.

Why don't YOU just go the hell away from MY thread...or p.m. me if you have an issue.

Last edited: