Just pulled the trigger on an IR Patrol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Absolutely... and we're allowed to suggest eating peas while standing behind a tri-pod (instead of running through the forest in the dark of night). But, remember... you're the peas guy, and we're the carrot types. Well.. except for TLM.... he was disobedient towards his mother... and he's got it coming back to him two-fold now.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet the atn x-sight is better than all these thermals ................... now start a 10 page conversation on that one
LOL... who better to suggest going on about the ATN X-Sight for pages and pages... than our very own FrankT.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
o_O:confused::p:eek:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nahhhh all I need is a green or red light, has worked for years

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Absolutely... and we're allowed to suggest eating peas while standing behind a tri-pod (instead of running through the forest in the dark of night). But, remember... you're the peas guy, and we're the carrot types. Well.. except for TLM.... he was disobedient towards his mother... and he's got it coming back to him two-fold now.

Well you can suggest it, but me? I'd rather be mobile than a statue. Then again, I know you're not used to the animals shooting back.

Better said, you're not used to the broccoli.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well you can suggest it, but me? I'd rather be mobile than a statue. Then again, I know you're not used to the animals shooting back.

Better said, you're not used to the broccoli.
I must admit, I've had more knives pulled on me that guns pointed at me (experienced both). Never harmed by either. I never bring broccoli to a gun fight.

Although... what worried me the most was when I had a couple in a domestic violence call who'd been wrestling on the floor after kicking over a pair of honey-buckets, and were covered head to toe in second-hand peas, carrots, broccoli, and some other unidentifiable matter. The one needed an ambulance, and wanted her hubby hauled off to the pokey. Of course, in his semi-intoxicated state, he bowed up, squared off and told me he wasn't going to jail, and I couldn't make him. (Man... why ME?)

Now, my partner was useless at the time. He was off to one side puking his guts out after he decided to show me how to handle this call and charged up to the open doorway. My suggestion to pause a second and formulate a plan wasn't acceptable to him. The sight of clothing flying out the open door, at a rather rapid rate (and not affected by the breeze as they flew) gave me pause. He took a towel to the face, wrapped around and slapped the back of his head... and he came up spitting chunks of second-hand peas, carrots, broccoli, and other unidentifiable matter. They were mopping up and throwing soiled stuff out the front door while still calling each other foul names. So, I was on my own here.

The ambulance crew didn't want to hear my suggestion to bring the OLD (back-up) ambulance... after all, THEY were the ambulance crew, and had a brand spanking NEW ambulance to ride in with pretty lights and loud siren. Guess who got to dismantle their interior and clean/disinfect the whole rig after their call?

But... after 45 mins. worth of talking him down, and reasoning through his intoxicated state... he eventually took my hand cuffs from me and applied them to his own wrists and got into the wagon on his own. I got my disinfected cuffs back from the jailer after I went to the fire hall and hosed out the wagon, scrubbed it with a long-handled brush of disinfectant, and another hosing. Barely even got my boots wet. And, I got to finish my shift by myself after driving my partner home. THAT event had me nervous inside. LOL

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just to muddy the waters- I don't care for carrots. I love peas. I do not intend to run through the woods with my nv. I wear glasses but I'm not near-sighted. I own an ATN X-Sight.I believe there are funner hobbies than prepping. James Bond (if in fact that is your real name) enjoy your new land, keep your wife well and happy, and take a while to get comfortable with what equipment you have , only then will you find the answers you seek - You've got some time I think. Best of luck.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
So, it looks like maybe I was destined to join this forum after all :)

My closing on the house is next Thursday and I met the owners to go over some things. They explained to me that they had a problem with wild hogs eating through some of the irrigation lines because the constant dampness attracted grub worms, and the hogs love grub worms.

I wouldn't have thought there would be a big Wildhog problem in the mountains because everything is so steep.

In either case, looks like it's free pork for the next year!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Louis I forget where are you/?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding opportunity for fresh wild pork, and practice with the gear. Congrats on that... and the new place.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
Western North Carolina. Mountains. In fact the house is buried between three mountains, on my left, right and behind me.

Of course after reading your story Ratdog, I kind of lost my appetite
for any kind food!

How long did it take you to get your appetite back up after that mess?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... As soon as I was done hosing out the wagon and washed up, I was GTG.

I once ate my lunch in the hospital morgue while securing a frozen DB. We needed to get her thawed enough to straighten, so we could secure/seal the slab's door. Ya never know what the day will bring.

Louis Richards

LSB Member
LMAO! I understand. I'm a retired master repair plumber, so grew up unclogging many sewers. Wasn't uncommon for me either, to be eating lunch in a crawlspace staring at a busted cast-iron pipe with raw sewage spewing all over the place.

Doesn't matter what you do, once you get used to it, it's just no big deal.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wondering now if all my target shooting will scare off all the wildlife..
Unlikely. If you shoot often they get used to it. I was shooting my 458 SOCOM at the range the other day. Big ol Gray squirrel came running along the railroad tie support. I kept on shooting, he just went about burying his nut. All the while 400 grain slug were impacting 10 feet away. We also get deer at the 200yd range that just stand there and stare. Not allowed to shoot any of the critters. That's ok there are plenty elsewhere.

Another quick story. The big boar in my avatar was shot in the same area we shot at a sounder 4 hours earlier and a coyote 2 hours earlier. Does not stop em if they really want to come in.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How many acres? it affects different animals also depend on the amount of other shooting around you. My rule of thumb is I either own a range or a place to hunt, most times it will turn large game nocturnal or run them off from your small patch...everything has exceptions though

Louis Richards

LSB Member
26 acres. But the rear of the property is adjacent to National Forest land. So almost unlimited. There's a creek that splits the property long ways, a pretty wide noisy creek year round.

It's the kind of area where I will be the first to start firing off bullets on a regular basis for sure.

I plan on setting up a specific target area at different yardages. So the wildlife is not used to that sound.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if it is legal to bait do it close to the Forrest border to draw them to your property, if not make like you are planting crops there your target animal will like then the shots will not affect them as much...food rules to them