Jacques Cousteau and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on the yootoobes

LSB Active Member
Not sure if anyone else feels like I do, but television lost me years ago. I always give Hollywood a shot when I hear about a new show and then shake my head at how I can't relate to the garbage on the airwaves. For those who can't seem to find anything worth watching(until CFB season rolls around!) here are two amazing finds for like minded dorks. Full series.....commercial free.....just gotta use a streamer thingy to the tv. And while I have not checked this out I was told last night they are also on the amazons prime, not to be confused with optimus prime.

Mutual:

Jacques:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Growing up, every Sunday after dinner we sat and watched Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Can still here Marlin Perkins voice explaining the scene while Jim bailed out of the chopper with his bare feet and chased after some giant Anaconda before it escaped into the marsh grasses.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And, Phillipe was the one testing the new underwater breathing gear.

jglass

LSB Member
Always liked the Jacques Cousteau programs. They sailed their ship the Calypso up the Mississippi R. Friends that saw it said it was very impressive to see. Jacques's son was killed flying that little helicopter that was on the ship and the show seemed to end after that. Jacques died in 1997 and the Calypso sank 1996 in Singapore but was later raised.

One gripe I have with $60/month cable TV is now we pay to have all that advertising brought into our homes. I thought that was the idea of "pay TV", to minimize advertisements. Another scam.

The Calypso today:

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
Oh wow thanks for that info....yea Jacques had my full attention as a kid he was pushing the limits. Sad about his boy. The only reason I keep the tv portion is b/c Verizon is smart enough to price their internet at 70 a month for basic fiber and $20 a month for tv with dvr. Here's the kicker....if I drop the tv my fiber service goes to 80. Jack holes.

jglass

LSB Member
All you have to do is a Google search and lots of info comes up . There is also a 1990 photo of the Calypso, a stunning beauty then. I read where he had a son died in a plane crash so the helicopter crash was an error or he had two sons and each one was killed in an air craft crash. When Jacques died the Cousteau foundation tanked. Jacques actually had 2 families. His first wife died so he married the mistress who now runs the Cousteau foundation. They have plans to restore and sail the Calypso again.

By the way, I ordered a Pulsar thermo XQ38 trail last Friday. Way more scope than I ever figured on having.
Calypso 1990

Last edited:

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

LSB Active Member
By the way, I ordered a Pulsar thermo XQ38 trail last Friday. Way more scope than I ever figured on having.

I feel the same way. My buddy picked up a Trail and while it's a beautifully clear picture there is no question....it won't help him kill any more hogs or yotes than my RXQ. Our average shot is working out to well under 100 yards actually closer to 50. Heck they are so confused in the dark I've shot a couple inside 20 feet that were running right at me! Enjoy....I think the RXQ is going to be more of a home run for Pulsar every day as the word gets out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ever notice that Jim was always the one wrestling the alligator/lion/bear while Marlin was safely flying in the helicopter? :D

Brian I am so old as to remember Marlin without Jim and doing it all himself!

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Cousteau woukd gladly have you and your family starve to death so as to decrease the footprint on our planet. He was a Malthusian psycho.

LSB Active Member
Cousteau woukd gladly have you and your family starve to death so as to decrease the footprint on our planet. He was a Malthusian psycho.

I suspected he might be....Al Gore probably has a shrine to him. That said I still enjoy the show. Growing up landlocked in a rural farming community of ~ 5k people, pathetic school system etc it gave me glimpses into the the world's amazing awesomeness! Until then I thought spending summers de-tassling corn was as good as it was gonna get.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Please don't bring up de-tassling corn, lied about my age and height to get that job. When you are 4' 11" it's a tough way to go. LOL!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was growing up in west Nashville in the 70's, PBS was one of 3 stations we were able to get at my house. I love watching Cousteau's undersea adventures every Saturday night. We would get a pizza from Kroger and watch his show. He inspired me to to get my dive certification.