IR light

Larryc

I'm looking for a IR light to use with my PVS 14 the light will be mounted on the gun to hunt hogs at night. I would like something out to 200 yards just not sure which one to buy and would like to only have to buy one time. On real dark night its just hard to see pass a 100 yards with out a IR light. I would appreciate any help that you can give me.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
There are two main flavors:
01 - IR Laser Illuminator
02 - IR LED Illuminator

The advantage of the laser version is there is no "red glow" ...
The LED flavors do have a big of a "red glow" though depending on the model this red glow may only be visible for a few feet (to humans). Nocturnal critters might be able to see the "red glow" out farther than we can as they might be able to see higher frequencies.

I run ir-laser illuminators on my helmets and they are good out to a max of about 150yds.

For much farther out, I use the LED flavors which depending on size work on hundreds of yards.

==
So the civilian legal ir-laser illuminators are good for close in ... but the ir LED illuminators are necessary for farther out.

Your 200yds is about right on the edge between baing able to use the laser flavor versus having to use the LED flavor.

Right now the latest models I've purchased are:

Ir-laser illuminator
Pulsar L-915 (915 is the frequency ...)
http://smile.amazon.com/Pulsar-L-91...=8-1&keywords=Pulsar+ir-laser+illuminator+915
Showing $177

Ir-LED-illuminator
T-20 38mm
http://smile.amazon.com/Evolva-Futu...4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455729334&sr=8-4&keywords=T-20
Showing $52 with a pressure switch.

==
You will be using an ir-laser on your rifle to aim with also correct?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Luna optics LN ELIR 3 and its great.
Also have the UNV IR20.
Both help me see on dark night really well. The Luna is more$$ but the red glow coming from the bulb is smaller and less noticeable. I helmet mount the IR20 bc it seems to open up more. And give a better FOV when walking ir driving. The Luna mounts to the gun and u can control the brightness and size of beam more precisely. The Luna also can be dialed in to a laser pointer but won't hold zero for shooting it like an Ir laser but if hunting with a partner can be helpful if u see something and want your buddy to know where you're looking if he also has Nv.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK turned me on to the evolva T20 illuminators on ebay. They are flat out impressive. I can ID hogs at probably 600-800 yards with it and my 3x magnifier on my pvs14. The best part is they are around $50 for light, battery, charger, and rat tail switch. You just have to wait a week or two for it to ship from China. Driving around at night it is brighter than a Qbeam used to be before night vision. It also has an adjustable beam so you can tighten it up and not gate your PVS down with the halo hitting objects up close.