IR hunter vs Pulsar XP50

West D

LSB Member
for those that are thinking about getting the Pulsar XP 50 . My hunting buddy just got his new XP50 thermal scope in and we got to try it out . I really liked the pulsar at first when
looking through it . I was trying to get a good comparision on the IR Hunter Mk2 35 and my buddys Pulsar . we got in some pigs in a open field , fresh planted cotton and wheat field that was cut . I would look through pulsar and grab my Ir Hunter . I was going to purchase Pulsar but after playing with the two I would Just can't see myself going with Pulsar for $800 more I think I would go with another IR Hunter . The IR Hunter has so much more range and crisp image . I dont really care about all the bells and whistles, just easy and simple when the shooting get hot and heavy .

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been shooting with my new Pulsar trail and carrying my ReapIR or IR Patrol for my scanner. I have a lot of time/nights behind the Trail now.

At first I really thought the ReapIR/Patrol had the best image and maybe it does most of the time. That said some nights I tend to prefer the Pulsar trail image wise depending on conditions. I guess it looks smoother/less grainy than my IRD units at times.

Pulsar looks best in black hot also to me. I like a higher contrast setting around 18 and brightness around 12-14 personally with Trail most nights.

IRD wins out in white hot for me, I just like the way it looks image wise vs pulsar in white hot.

Feature wise no doubt the Trail is the better deal. I would have to compare it to the MK III or ReapIR which is much higher price than the Pulsar. I sold my MK II because it would only hold one POI/rifle and I like to use my scopes on different rifles that's a deal breaker for me personally.

Overall the IRD/Trijicon stuff has more of a Mil-Spec feel to it than the Pulsar Trail. It's pretty impressive stuff housing and feel wise.

For me I don't see myself buying any more IRD units until they catch up feature wise or offer better pricing. I can buy XP50 trail for thousands less than my ReapIR or MK III 35mm. Our choices maybe futher compounded when the new FLIR boson 640 systems hit the market next year.

I also used the Helion XP which was a lot smaller housing wise than I expected. To be honest I expected the Helion to just feel like a Trail scope without weapon mount but it feels much smaller. It's a toss up between the IR Patrol and Helion, I like different things about each unit. Money wise the Helion is a no brainer 2K cheaper vs base IR Patrol though. The OLED image looks way bigger in the Helion vs the Patrol also. I think it's the Helion eye piece giving this effect.

Give the Pulsar alittle time. The more and more I use the Trail I like it better and better overall.

Last edited:

Medino03

I'm in the market for a thermal riflescope. The Pulsar XP50 Trail and the IR Defense/Trijicon MKII 35mm are the 2 I have narrowed down to. The MKII is the only one I've had a chance to actually look through at a gun show. I really like the knob controls and the image seems to be very good. The Pulsar has my attention because of all the options like internal video and wifi. I hunt with friends alot and they will not have thermal scopes so I like the idea that they can see what I see through a phone/tablet. What are your opinions on theses scopes?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The new Armasight core will blow them all away, only problem is you have to wait

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what improvements will armasight come out with

and what is the time frame

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what improvements will armasight come out with

and what is the time frame
12 micron, internal recording, for 640 most likely 2018.

robininni

LSB Member
Also, is the new 640 boson FLIR design going to be better than the IR Hunter Mark 3 or are we expecting it to match it? I guess the new FLIR will still have some other features (on board video, auto NUC) even if it is just a match for image quality. Does anybody have any idea on pricing for the new FLIR 640 boson units for various optical zoom/lens sizes? I am wondering since the 60hz 100mm Zeus Pro is $10k if the Trijicon IR Hunter Mark 3 60mm will be a better deal price wise at it's current $9k compared with an equivalent new FLIR design? I.E., are we going to see a $12k 100mm FLIR boson?

Last edited: