IR Hunter MarkII to date

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been testing two units of the IR Hunter for the past month or so. Both are the MarkII units with the 12 micron core. Here is my thoughts on these units. Prior to getting these I had none to very little experience with thermal. I always preferred NV due to the clarity of the units.

My first impression is that both units are very clear. Target identification is made very easy due to the 12 micron core versus the 17 micron. This is one of the first thermal units that I would actually use due to the clarity.

Both units are of a great size mounted on the weapon. They are actually smaller than the 3x9 scope I removed to mount them.

The controls are very user friendly and consist of three knobs mounted around the scope just like most people are used to with a day scope. The left knob scrolls through the menu. The top knob adjust whatever is listed on top and the right knob adjust whatever is listed on that side. Very straight forward.

So far I'm getting about 4-5 hours off battery life from two CR123 batteries. Both are mounted on the left side of the unit and are easy to change in the dark. Just keep both positives pointed out and you are good to go.

Sighting in is very easy. Just make up a throw down target using a small square of aluminum foil and have at it. Keep in mind that you move the cross hairs to the point of impact of the bullet. I can see the heat from the bullet as it passes through a thin piece of cardboard and adjust to that.

I have used the smaller scope as a clip on and it performs as advertised. Just don't put it behind a 3x9 or higher scope. You need to use a 1x4 or a 2x7 class optic for the best picture.

Both are of a very fair price point and I believe the will serve most folks who are looking to upgrade to thermal for their night time hunting. BTW you can use them during the day. This is not NV we are talking here.

Price point is good for a unit with a 12 micron core. I can't say here as the dealer I'm testing these for has not become a vendor. LOL

The only negative I can find so far is if you want to video your hunt. Right now it is time consuming. You have to set the menu on number 8 to user. Change to 60hz and save these by turning the unit off and on. Every time you fire up the unit you have to go back to number 8 and select video on. Now you can record. I've been told the recommendation is to turn on the unit, set all of your setting and leave it on. We will see if this can be corrected.

So far I would recommend either of these units to the good folks here on Lone Star Boars. Hopefully I will get some video of these in action. This is a learning curve for me and it is one I'm trying to accomplish.

Rick

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
So the MkII units have the BAE cores (not the FLIR cores of the MKI units) is that correct?

What batteries are you using?
FYI, I use TENERGY rechargeables for all practicing and SUREFIRE lithiums for hunting.

Just don't put it behind a 3x9 or higher scope. You need to use a 1x4 or a 2x7 class optic for the best picture.

Hum, so does that mean you can't crank up to 3x magnification and get an image you like??

When you say
put it behind
Do you mean put it in front of??

... I have used the smaller scope as a clip on ...

Does this imply you've used the larger scope as a stand-alone scope?

How are the reticles? Is there a "sub-tension" reticle? Have you tried any holds?

Regarding the VIDEO startup issue ... what about just always starting up the VIDEO when you start up the unit?

==
I'm particularly interested in whether the image in these units is significantly better than the image in other units, such as Apollo/Apollo Pro, but we need to hear from people who have looked through both. The MKII does seem to offer the hint of a great image at a decent price.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So the MkII units have the BAE cores (not the FLIR cores of the MKI units) is that correct?

They do use the BAE 12um cores ... seems pretty good for the money.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just picked up one of the 1.5x 19mm markii's about a week ago and have to say I've been thoroughly impressed with it so far.

My experience with thermal is admittedly limited. I've owned a Flir First Mate when they first came out and got rid of it in short order do to the small viewing screen. I also have a Flir One for the iphone 5, which is only really useful to look at things a little further than I can reach out and touch within a couple steps.

I got a chance to stretch its legs last weekend running around a buddy's property up around Palestine. We took the side by side down into the creek bed and scouted around. Spotting armadillos in the grass at 100+y was a fun game to play, they looked like neon glowing bocce balls running around. I make that comparison but they were easily identifiable as to what they were and what they were doing. Deer were easily identifiable 300+y and probably further but the terrain didn't offer itself to longer ranges. We watched 2 coyotes chasing and pouncing on mice at about 150y. While we didn't take them, head shots with this unit would have been more than comfortable to take. It was easy to tell which way they were looking and to see far more detail than I'd thought would have been available with a thermal unit.

There are some things that could be improved upon, but overall I'm happy with the purchase. The controls are easy to use, the viewing screen is large, clear and sharp. I would have preferred the video output used a USB instead of the Fischer 9 pin for ease of getting replacement cables. In some of the reviews of the mark1 versions of the IR Hunter, I've read where it was easy to unintentionally turn on or off, not a problem with the unit I have. The switch is stiff but easy to use. The ability to "nuke" the sensor when you chose vs it picking the most inconvenient times is a great feature. I haven't used it as a clip on, but that option is a nice to have as is the ability to use PVS-14 connections on the viewing side.

I look forward to spending more time behind it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The IR hunter is the only other scope besides the Zeus or Apollo I would consider owning. All the major thermals out will get the job done for hunting, the major differences will be features, lens quality/size, customer service support, durability, weather resistance, and ultimately cost.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

What batteries are you using?
FYI, I use TENERGY rechargeables for all practicing and SUREFIRE lithiums for hunting.

I'm using Titanium Innovations that a friend picked up. These are cheap batteries and don't last as long as Surefire or name brands.

Hum, so does that mean you can't crank up to 3x magnification and get an image you like??

You can crank up to three power. I like to start lower for a wider field of view.

When you say Do you mean put it in front of??

If you want to use it as a clip on it has to go in front of the day scope.

Does this imply you've used the larger scope as a stand-alone scope?

I've been using both as stand alone scope's. I just put the smaller of the two on as a clip on to see how well it worked. Both hogs I shot where with the smaller unit. I had no problem killing a 220 pound boar at 180 steps with the unit set on 3x. The only difference in size is the 35mm is 1" longer than the 20mm.

How are the reticles? Is there a "sub-tension" reticle? Have you tried any holds?

There are three main reticles. I like the combat reticle for hog hunting. With it you can tell the size of the hog at known distances. It has two sub-tension reticles that look pretty cool, but they are to busy for my eyes for night time hog hunting. I have not tried any holds as the caliber and ranges I'm shooting do not require them.

Regarding the VIDEO startup issue ... what about just always starting up the VIDEO when you start up the unit?

This is what the factory recommends, but it also means leaving the unit on for the entire night. Unless you have time to set everything up prior to taking the shot. There are times when I did not have the luxury of doing this. It is fairly quick to do once you get used to the controls.

==
I'm particularly interested in whether the image in these units is significantly better than the image in other units, such as Apollo/Apollo Pro, but we need to hear from people who have looked through both. The MKII does seem to offer the hint of a great image at a decent price.

And I almost forgot. Both units use the BAE 12 micron core. It gives a great picture with the smaller glass these units employ.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What about the Raytheon W1000-9 ??

Great scope! At the time I got mine they were half the price of the zeus and other newer units and the clear winner for the bang for your buck prize. That made the choice easy but now you can get a 640 core with 75mm lens for almost the same cost. That makes the decision a little harder.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And I almost forgot. Both units use the BAE 12 micron core. It gives a great picture with the smaller glass these units employ.

Just imagine if they would put a real lens on it!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just imagine if they would put a real lens on it!

Spoken like a true photo snob. Lol. You are right. Bigger and higher quality glass = better image.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Spoken like a true photo snob. Lol. You are right. Bigger and higher quality glass = better image.
I've wondered about that. Maybe someone could take a stab at this hypothetical:

Let's say you had two armasights pros in hand. Both 640's, one has the 100mm lens and the other has the 50mm.

I don't know what the focal "range" difference is between the two. By that I mean I don't know what distance a particular unit would have to be "set back" or "set forward" to see the exact same field of view as the other scope.

By that I mean if the 100mm scope were looking at a target 100 yards away it would have a measurable field of view at 100 yards. I don't know how much closer to the same target you would have to move the 50mm scope to view the target with the exact same field of view.

Someone smarter than I probably knows how to calculate this.

Let's assume the two scopes are viewing the same target at whatever respective distance is necessary to produce the exact same field of view.

Is it true that the scope with the larger lens would have the sharper image or would the images from either scope appear the same?

Thanks.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been told that with the 12 micron core you don't need a bigger lens to get the sane performance as a larger lens. I would really like to see what would happen if this was paired with a 75mm lens. I think it would price is out of the competition. Bigger glass means more money. Better core should be a better unit.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My understanding is the main advantage to the 12 micron core is lower cost, 50% reduction in optics size and reduced power use compared to a 17 micron core.

I haven't read anything "printed" scientific stating a 12 micron core offers more clarity than a 17 micron core when proper lens size is applied to both core sizes? Am I missing something if so please provide a link so I can educate myself.

Lens wise, I've owned about 15-20 different thermal systems now and used many more. From my use and personal opinion I've noticed systems with bigger lens seem to handle challenging thermal conditions better vs small lens. Maybe others can add to that from their personal experience.

Like day optics there are different grade G-lens out there' some commercial spec, others mil-spec

Software/firmware to run the core is huge. Most thermal core producers sale the thermal engines but the buyer has to provide their own software. You can have the same FLIR 640 core in to different products that perform different do to firmware and optic differences.

And yes, I would also like to see a 12 micron core with a big 50mm-75mm adjustable lens

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow Terry, that is a lot of experience and hands on..interested in doing a write-up?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm basing my judgment from the clarity of a 12 vs 17 core with the same lens. I believe the 12 is clearer given both are using the same size lens. This is the way my eye sees them. And yes you seem more educated than I as I stated in the beginning of this write up. These opinions are from someone who has very little experience with thermal and I thought it would give the members a different take. I would like to get together with TLM and others with more experience and do a side by side comparison so I can get their input.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
rgilbert, you are correct "same" lens size 12 micron will offer more clarity/detection range. However, when comparing say a 1x 19mm lens 12 micron core scope to a 1X 30mm lens 17 micron scope which is what you would be buying on the thermal scope market right now should things be about equal clarity then?

The main gain then is lower price needing the smaller lens for the same performance level everything else being equal.

However, FLIR keeps lowering their prices on 17 micron core (maybe thanks to BAE 12 micron cores now) And when pricing the armasight Zeus pro 640 50mm 2x, Thor 640 2.5x 50mm and IR hunter MK II 640 2.5x 35mm.The IR hunter was my highest quote by a couple hundred dollars even with the small lens. And yes those quotes weren't straight MSRP I called and dealed for best pricing.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm basing my judgment from the clarity of a 12 vs 17 core with the same lens. I believe the 12 is clearer given both are using the same size lens. This is the way my eye sees them. And yes you seem more educated than I as I stated in the beginning of this write up. These opinions are from someone who has very little experience with thermal and I thought it would give the members a different take. I would like to get together with TLM and others with more experience and do a side by side comparison so I can get their input.

Actually yours is the type of review I like...Yeah the pros at it for the final buying decision but your type of review gets the equipment on the list in the first place and I like the variety...Thanks

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree, I like seeing real user reviews and you did a great write up. Knowledge wise I know just enough to be dangerous, I'm by no means a expect still learning every day. LOL