IR Hunter Mark III Video

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Still waiting to get my hands on one. Hopefully soon.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anybody have any hunting footage recorded with the MK III??
Best I can tell there's no difference in the MKII and MkIII concerning the hardware and electronics involved.
So video should be the same. :cool:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The only one I played with briefly was the 60mm. It was very clear, but I did not have time to hook a recorder to it. I have been using the MKII 35 for over a year and the image appeared about the same. Just larger due to the higher magnification.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish they made could make the 60mm as a 2.5x like the 35mm

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got the 35mm Mk3. The only difference I can tell is in the firmware changes and the 2 arm LaRue mount vs the 1 arm that was on my 19mm Mk2.

As for firmware changes, the ones I've noticed is the x/y numbers when sighting it in, the 4 presets for sighting in different guns, as well as a new cross hair that I really like. It's small and unobtrusive.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree oso about the multiple zeros. But not for $1000 to upgrade. Tyler atUNV has a video of how to use the pictures to save/create multiple zeroes on the MKIIs. It makes sense but I haven't been to the range to do it and test it out yet. I still have to test out the mounts ability to return to zero without resighting.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree oso about the multiple zeros. But not for $1000 to upgrade. Tyler atUNV has a video of how to use the pictures to save/create multiple zeroes on the MKIIs. It makes sense but I haven't been to the range to do it and test it out yet. I still have to test out the mounts ability to return to zero without resighting.
I've had no problem with the mount returning to zero. I pull my scope off regularly and have had no issue.

The problem I've had with trying Tyler's method is I don't have a steady rest to work with.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have to wonder if the MkIII 35mm isn't somewhat obsolete now that the REAP-IR is out at the same price point.
Or is there something I'm missing between these two?
To me it looks like it's down to the MkII 35mm or the REAP-IR for viable choices in the current market. :cool:

JPK

LSB Active Member
I've had no problem with the mount returning to zero. I pull my scope off regularly and have had no issue.

The problem I've had with trying Tyler's method is I don't have a steady rest to work with.

For a few $'s you can fix the steady rest problem with sand bags!

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have to wonder if the MkIII 35mm isn't somewhat obsolete now that the REAP-IR is out at the same price point.
Or is there something I'm missing between these two?
To me it looks like it's down to the MkII 35mm or the REAP-IR for viable choices in the current market. :cool:

I would agree except maybe some buyers might prefer the turret controls to the joy stick.

I have a Patrol and MK II, so use both control systems. If I have any preference it might be for the joy stick because of the Quick Menu, which puts NUC and zoom in the same "page" and allow either with quick one handed ease.

But the REAP-IR is also supposed to have a new geranium alloy lens which passes 17% more data, making it the winner for me.

JPK

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No scope has everything the way we want it and we don't all want the same things. So it can be hard on the manufacturer to make a product that appeals to everyone equally. :(
Yes, I couldn't agree more. It would be nice if the MK-III had some of the Armasight features like auto NUC and did not have to be put into video mode every time.
I had the opportunity to hunt with the MK-III 4.5x 640 along side the Armasight Zeus 3x 640, and the Thor 2.5x 640 and while every thermal had its strengths they still all had their own unique weaknesses. I actually liked the turrets on the MK-III and was able to get used to them very quickly. I also thought the picture on the MK-III was the most detailed and fluid out of the three scopes. Mind you this was three weeks ago before the new Armasight firmware update.

Last edited:

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The armasights are still using the 17 micron core even with the update though right?