IR Hunter Mark 2 owners

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Guys, I've started having issues with my scope and want to check with any of yall if you have experienced any of the same. About a month ago it started jumping to the the number 8 menu screen which is the large black screen with several options when I would start shooting into a group of pigs. Usually about the 3rd shot or so it would do this. I would simply scroll up to clear it and get back to shooting.
About a month ago I bought an external battery pack specifically for the IR scopes and it worked great the first four nights of hunting. Also, not experiencing any of the mentioned problem above. After a week at work and then back out hunting again the scope would shut off for a couple seconds and start to reboot after a couple shots and continue to do this after a couple of shots. This second issue I'm guessing could be a cable problem with the external battery pack? Anyway, just trying to get some answers before I speak to UNV and or IR Defense.

Thanks

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had the same problem on one unit. It was my fault for not tightening the battery compartment completely. I never used any external power source.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the external battery pack also. I've had issues with the menu screen not registering turret clicks sometimes. I've had it shut off from recoil once. I was told low battery on battery pack might shut down scope when shooting (don't remember who said that).

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There is a copper sleeve inside the battery housing.

This sleeve has been working itself forward on my unit (I guess from recoil) this year I've been seeing some of the same things you described, and most recently I have been having the scope power cycle or even shut off entirely when I pull the trigger.

I finally noticed the sleeve has progressively gotten farther out of the housing. IRD said the sleeve is pressed in by hand at the factory so I pressed mine back in which solves the problem. They told me if it pops out again to call in for an RMA as the whole battery housing will need to be replaced.

Unfortunately it moved right back out 8 or 9 shots.

Ugh. They are just now starting to get corn cut in my area too.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Edit:

IRD told me the sleeve is supposed to be pressed in all the way to the bottom "ring". Mine had jumped out almost 1/4" before I noticed it.

Check and see if they sleeve has moved out

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mine had an issue with re-booting after every shot. Fortunately, I was at the range at the time. The battery indicator showed half charge but I tried changing the batteries anyway. That fixed the problem and it didn't shut down anymore.

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the external battery pack also. I've had issues with the menu screen not registering turret clicks sometimes. I've had it shut off from recoil once. I was told low battery on battery pack might shut down scope when shooting (don't remember who said that).
I've had this happen the first week i used the battery pack and that's all it was but since then I've made sure the battery pack was charged and now experiencing power issue that seem to be different. Thanks for the note

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is a copper sleeve inside the battery housing.

This sleeve has been working itself forward on my unit (I guess from recoil) this year I've been seeing some of the same things you described, and most recently I have been having the scope power cycle or even shut off entirely when I pull the trigger.

I finally noticed the sleeve has progressively gotten farther out of the housing. IRD said the sleeve is pressed in by hand at the factory so I pressed mine back in which solves the problem. They told me if it pops out again to call in for an RMA as the whole battery housing will need to be replaced.

Unfortunately it moved right back out 8 or 9 shots.

Ugh. They are just now starting to get corn cut in my area too.
Thanks Wildfowler, when i get home I'm going to take a look at this sleeve and see if this is the same problem I'm having.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Edit:

IRD told me the sleeve is supposed to be pressed in all the way to the bottom "ring". Mine had jumped out almost 1/4" before I noticed it.

Check and see if they sleeve has moved out

You might try a couple drops of epoxy on the exposed sleeve and then press it back in. Clean up any epoxy left on the edge. Let it cure 24 hrs. It might get you through the harvest.

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine had an issue with re-booting after every shot. Fortunately, I was at the range at the time. The battery indicator showed half charge but I tried changing the batteries anyway. That fixed the problem and it didn't shut down anymore.
Thanks Chopper, this sounds like what Blake was saying and what I experienced that first week with the battery pack. Indicator showed sufficient power but it was too low and shut down on every shot.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will add that I had used the same batteries for several nights of playing around. Not a full hunting trip, but several hours. The battery strength gauge is apparently not a precise instrument. I no longer trust it when it indicates 50%.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Prior to this issue with the battery housing, I have determined that I will change my batteries at my earliest opportunity when the indicator moves below the full reading.

My Informal testing shows that when the reading drops, there is only about 30 minutes left anyway.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just got my RMA. After speaking with the tech at IRD, I don't think this is going to be your problem.

He said they have had only one other instance like this to date.

Typical for me. Actually, in my life I'm usually the only person "this" has ever happened to.

Haha

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got my RMA. After speaking with the tech at IRD, I don't think this is going to be your problem.

He said they have had only one other instance like this to date.

Typical for me. Actually, in my life I'm usually the only person "this" has ever happened to.

Haha
I spoke to Tyler at unv yesterday and we are doing a rma as well. He's heard of one of the issues but just decided to go ahead and send it in and get it done right.