Initial Impression: New Barnes Bullets 130 grain TTSX VOR-TX ammo

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was fortunate enough to get some of the new Barnes Bullets loaded VOR-TX 308win 130 grain tipped TSX boat tail ammo.

Barnes claims 3125 fps velocity at the muzzle we will assume this is a 20" barrel, either way this load is flying.

At 50 yards these hit almost spot on with my 165 gr SST handloads that was good enough for us to get out and hunt with them this weekend. (Ballistic gel test, and groups are coming soon).

Now for everyone here wants to know how did they do on hogs? Two boars were taken with the bullet, one a decent size and another was about 150ish pounds.

The first boar was shot at about 40-50 yards at a slight quartering away angle the entrance was almost perfectly center of his body and the exit was about 4" back from his left shoulder. So yes you guessed it right that is a gut shot. The boar ran approximately 30-40 yards and collapsed dead leaving a good blood trail and chunks of meat along the way. I was impressed with the blood trail as hogs usually self seal, and considering the shot placement I think the bullet performed exceptionally.

Second up was a larger boar sorry we did not weigh or measure this time guys. This boar was about 80 yards off moving at a slow trot when hit. He was also hit center mass and proceeded to run about 40-50 yards before collapsing. This boar also left an impressive blood trail loosing fluids from both the entrance and exit. Again it was bad shot placement but the bullet performed and the hog went down. This is only a small sample but we are at 100% recovery with not perfect shots so thought I would share.

I will continue to test and get more kills with this bullet in the near future.

Here is the boar I am told by Barnes these are likely the first animals ever killed with this new load.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I shot this bullet a few years ago on deer. Can't remember how many I killed, but no bullets were recovered and all deer hit went down within 30 to 40 yds. Mine were hand loaded to mid range velocity, so probably not as hot as the vor/ tx rounds but very accurate. Still one of my favorite .308 loads if I ever get back to shooting it again. It's hard to put the 6.8 down long enough to shoot anything else.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice boars, both. Good to see these are performing with marginal shots. Lookin' forward to the results of a well placed hit.