Inexpensive IR rifle setup

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I began testing my attempt at a homemade IR night scope setup. After connecting the camera and the LED screen to 12v, it was obvious I am on the right track. By adjusting focus while holding the cam approx 3" behind the ocular, I was able to see a clear image including cross hairs. Now all I have to do is figure out how to mount the system to my .270. I'll let you know how things progress.

JPK

LSB Active Member
There is a fellow on Predator Masters, 6mm-06 is his screen name, who uses a NV camera and an LED screen on a bolt rifle, which sounds pretty similar to what you are trying to put together - except you're using thermal and he is using NV. Might want to take a look at how he is mounting things.

FWIW, iirc, he is using a rail mounted to his scope, extending back toward the butt to hold the camera, and mounting the screen on the rail as well, in front of and to the side of the scope. If you were to extend the rail forward it would work for thermal I think...

Also FWIW, Armasight sells a scope mounted rail which should be long enough. If you go to this link and look at photo number 6 you will see the Armasight rail set up holding the clip on in front of the scope. Should give you some ideas. https://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-clip-on-systems/armasight-co-x-gen-3-ghost-mg

JPK

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of utube video's on the subject. Also check out the nightvisionforumUK, these guys are the best, and very helpful.

If you are building an add on, (attached behind your day scope camera, and display mounted elsewhere) everyone recommends the 16mm lens on a E700 sensor camera. Make sure it's a KTN camera, they have the best light sensitivity in the 1/3" CCTV's. You will need to remove the IR filter to improve NV performance. You probably already know all this though.