Incoming!

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This year, the new cornfields have been far more productive than the soybean fields and this night did not disappoint.

I had spotted a couple boars separated by about 300 yards and I put the stalk on the closest and got within 100 yards or so. I had approached from down wind and was between him and the woods that most of the pigs call home. As I got closer, I lost track of the other pig and was second guessing myself if it was actually a pig or oil field gear. As I lined up on my target he seemed to sense me and started to trot off. I opened up and took him out but forgot to turn on video in my rushed state.

After confirming he is down, I pan right to see if can find the other pig and to my delight, here he comes right in my direction. NOW I turn on video and wait. You can see his buddy at the :10 mark. Not exactly my finest shooting but definitely the closest action I've had in 3 years of pig hunting. He turned out to be medium size, guessing 160-180.

There was some discussion in another thread regarding fixed vs variable focus. I set my 336 Zeus at infinity and leave it. I thought this was a pretty good illustration of how that works in practice. At the beginning, the pig is definitely inside 100 yards. Probably closer to 60 and still very sharp, then gets as close as 10 or 15 when it is definitely out of focus but still useable. Im sure an out of focus image would be far more noticeable with a 640 scope.

Anyway, enjoy!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. I like the close in shooting. Looked like a rhino charging. I leave my 640 on infinity. It gets a bit out of focus at about 30 and in but certainly useable. The least amount of things you have to screw with the better off you are. Even though Armasight self nuks I still do that when I think necessary and now and then I will adjust the brightness. Contrast stays close enough.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked good, even out of focus was not too bad but it did make you shoot behind him 4 times...lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lead poisoning! Way to stay on him!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just a tad more lead on the runners and you will have them! Good job!
Yeah, like Brian says, if you can put a tad more lead into the runners you'll knock 'em right down.
Umm, or did I misunderstand something ... ???

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If the hog is down ... it's good shooting! ;) Looked like one tough hog.