I'll Fess Up

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, so here's my hunting story from 2013.

I got out to the blind around 4pm on a Tuesday in Missouri when the temps were around freezing and steadily dropping. For hours after sundown I have the stock up to my face, scanning through the IR night vision scope attached to my AR.

Saw lots of wildlife, but no hogs until 9:15 when a single came out of the wood line toward the feeder. Had a great broadside shot, squeezed the trigger, and "click." The hog must have heard it and headed for the woods. Cleared the rifle, loaded it back up, started the wait again. That was attempt #1

At around 10:30 pm, another single hog came out of the woods. Repeat the above. That was attempt #2. I fiddled with the gun, used lots of sailor language, and started the wait again.

Around 1:00 am, a group of twelve or so hogs come from the opposite direction, making lots of noise. Three more times I have a decent sight picture, three more times I hear "click." Attempts #3-5.

(So by now has anybody reading this thought that I have been coating the gun with vapor? It is really friggin' cold out and high enough humidity that there is a quarter inch of frost on the ground. Is everything freezing up because there wasn't enough lube for the weather conditions?)

Finally, on the sixth attempt with the large group of pigs still milling around, the gun actually fires when I want it to. I wasn't sure at this point if it was a hit, and I was not going to wander around the woods in the dark to find out when I know the place is lousy with pigs.

Around 3 am another small group of hogs runs by, moving fast. I don't even try to take a shot because my fingers barely work any more.

I go back to camp at around 6:30 am, totally zombied out because I was up all night in a wood box sitting in a plastic chair in 20 degree weather with no source of heat other than two hand warmer packs. My rifle, my person, and all my gear are covered with frost. I am too tired and disoriented to speak proper English. My hunting buddy goes back to the hunt site with me and after a few minutes tromping around we find the dead hog on the ground.

This has never happened since that one time with my rifle. But I haven't hunted hogs in such cold weather again, either.

Moral of the story: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.....
P3270014.JPG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One "bang" out of six isn't as much fun as six "bangs" (although Curly Shuffle's usually good for a couple). But, a dead hog (good sized one too) is a score.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size hog, well done. I have had it happen one time bad rd but never again or more than that...I hate cold weather though.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes a not-so-blind squirrel finds a Big nut! Great job!!! I would have thrown the gun, so I commend you!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks cold as heck! Congrats on the hog ... props for staying out so late in such cold weather.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry about the tough luck with the mid fires!
But props for sticking it out and not giving up in such rough conditions!
The Hog Gods must have approved your steadfast perseverance with finding the hit pig!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog!

I've not had the "click" issue, but I've had the "did I leave the magazine on top of the gun safe at the house which is 40 miles from here" issue before.

Before I bought my gun safes, I had the "Did I leave the lock to the trigger guard at the house which is 40 miles from here" issue.

D

djones

i'm familiar with 'click'. didn't get the firing pin back in all the way when i put the retaining pin back in. ARRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!