If at first you don't succeed...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After my experience with Quick Draw McEd earlier in the evening, "There they are" BANG! | Lone Star Boars I left him to his spoils and went in search of greener pastures, heavily rooted pastures. I recently picked up a new property that had been his hard by hogs and started about 3 weeks ago. The only problem is, the hogs apparently have not come back. Nice property with some excellent, long distance views, but no hogs. So I thought I would try calling hogs to see if maybe I could coax some out of the creek bottoms.

On this property, stopping the hogs (and their rooting) is the primary goal. However, I was told I was to shoot any coyotes I see as they "get after the calves."

I set up the caller and then found a nice shady spot under a tree in which to hide. The shade was necessary as there was a glaringly bright full moon. I start the caller, to a quick scan for movement, realized I was cold and decided to put on my gloves. The hogs would have to cover a couple hundred yards to even make it half way to the caller, so I had time, right? As I am putting on a glove, I spied movement out of my peripheral vision as something went streaking past in a blur and disappeared. Turns out, it was a coyote and I lost it visually because it had stopped which I could now see through the thermal. He was focused on the area of the caller, so I put a shot into him that hit him low on the chest and went through one leg. He took off and as he slowed, I got a second shot into him that put him down.

Would always rather a hog, but coyotes are a good challenge...

JPK

LSB Active Member
Nice shooting. I can see why you like that propert, no trees in the way!

Love the last two pews!

JPK

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Me thinks ya jinx'd yerself with the "machine that goes pew-pew..." Took two pews to anchor him. But, from the slo-mo of the first shot, me thinks he was a goner after the first pew... just didn't know it yet. Nice chootin' B !! At least that Hessian LET you get a shot off once in a while.